HELP! Coyotes found my girls!! Injured chicken.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adw1403, Feb 12, 2014.

1. adw1403

adw1403 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    It was a matter if time I guess, but I went to lock my girls in this evening and was one short. I went out looking for her and found bloody feathers. I could hear the coyotes cackling nearby. Went back in to the coop and another girl was huddled in the corner, bleeding. I brought her into the house to give her a good look over. She's got a nasty wound under her wing and it sounds like air coming out of it. No idea what I should do!!! She's not lethargic or weak and she's not bleeding bad. But the wound is bad!!! Should I just out her out if her misery or can I treat the wound? Thx!![​IMG]

2. Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I am sorry they got your girls! The decision is up to how much care you are willing to provide. If you decide to keep her I would suggest keeping her in the house, cleaning the wound really well, applying antibiotic cream (without pain reliever) and a antibiotic in the water to prevent infection. Chickens will surprise you as to what they can heal from. You may want to look into something like an electric fence for protection around the coop or a guardian livestock dog.

1 person likes this.
  4. A sad time for you to join BYC, but I would like to welcome you to BYC. I hope someone in the emergency section can give you good advice

1 person likes this.
  5. If air is coming out then the coyote probably punctured one of her air sacks. I am not exactly sure what the likeliness of survival is after that.. That could not be an issue, it could kill her, I am not sure. I hope she is okay.
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't put her out of her misery, unless she is just in awful pain and there is nothing you can do to heal the wound.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. adw1403

adw1403 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks all! We originally planned on having a run, even put in posts to start one but decided to let them free range and play by ear. We have five acres and have never had issues with predictors even though we've heard the coyotes in the distance from day one. Is get a livestock guard in a heart beat but the hubs doesn't want another mouth to feed :(. Guess we'll start working in the run.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your girl, hopefully you'll get some help on the Emergencies forum. Chickens are darn tough and can survive some pretty bad injuries, hope your girl pulls through.

9. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Predators of all kinds become more common during the winter months because of lack of food. This winter I fear they are more common then normal (at least in my area) because of the weird weather and even less food then normal. A protected run is always a good idea even if you do free range. My girls free range but an hour to an hour and a half before dusk they all go to their protected area around the coop and I lock that area up until they all go in the coop.

1 person likes this.
  10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by