1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Cracked egg emergency!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krista74, Aug 26, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Can some experienced chicken folk please help me?

Broody (our hen) got out of the nest today and dropped an egg from under her wing. I heard the crack as she did it, and sure enough there is a little circular crack, with a straight line coming off the circle in both directions, spanning half the circumference of the egg.

In a panic, hubby put superglue over the crack. It didn't set, so I gently wiped that off with a warm, damp tissue to remove both the glue (and the glue smell), and we applied candle wax to the crack.

I am confident that the whole crack is covered with wax, and I wiped it as it went on hot so that it was a thin-ish layer.

Is the chick likely to survive? It was definitely alive at first (I candled it before I put the wax on) and was only out of the nest for 10 minutes maximum. We were quite gentle with it and I held it to keep it warm.

This is my first batch of chicks and I am desperate to know if it will be ok, or if it is destined to die.

Please help!

- Krista

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I should mention also that this is Day 10, and it does not appear that the membrane was punctured....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by