1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Crazy repair job

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenegg17, Apr 7, 2017.

1. chickenegg17

chickenegg17 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    First of all, I'm posting this with extreme anguish. Last night I went to go lock down an egg and I candled it prior. No movement, black areas, and no pretty red veins. I thought the chick was a goner. So I went to the eggtopsythrough the air cell and there was the chick! It was opening and closing its beak. [​IMG] Here's what I did: I took a shell from another egg, cleaned it and made a patch for the hole. Sealed it with wax and glue. Put it in the incubator with high humidity. I'm really worried now that I overdid the patch job?! Is there enough air flow or should I make a little pin hole on the top? And then wondering how it will be able to pip through with the wax and glue. The patch job almost completely covers the top of the egg.
    I'm thinking I need to put a couple of pin holes on the top? What do you think????? Please help, I feel horrible!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What day was the egg on when this happened? Was it internally pipped? It sounds like it was internally pipped. If so the patch was not necessary and you could have just left the hole.

What you do next depends on what day it's on and whether it was internally pipped or not.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. chickenegg17

chickenegg17 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    It was internally pipped. Day 18. Should I open the hole back up? It was a large egg, hole the size of a dime.

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd just put a small safety hole in the top for now, since you are concerned it won't be able to externally pip through the patch job. Use a small sharp screw or drill bit to make a little hole.

6. chickenegg17

chickenegg17 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Thank you! Have you ever heard of someone doing this before and the chick surving? Where should I keep the humidity? Should I place the egg on a wet paper towel?

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Don't place the egg on a wet paper towel, this could cause chilling.

Yes, I help people with assisted hatches all the time and believe me, this is not the worst thing I've seen by a long shot, lol. Your chick is very likely going to be just fine.

Keep the humidity at regular lockdown levels, 65-70% is good.

8. chickenegg17

chickenegg17 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    We have a small hole now. Unfortunately I am out of town, but my husband peaked in there with his fiber optic scope and he doesn't see any movement. I hope it's just sleeping, but I have a bad feeling:(

9. chickenegg17

chickenegg17 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    [​IMG]

It's sort of a messy repair job.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  10. chickenegg17

chickenegg17 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    I'm afraid it didn't make it. Sad day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by