1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help ! crazy skin\feather loss on my silkie hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffygirls85, Feb 1, 2014.

1. fluffygirls85

fluffygirls85 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Citrus, fl
    A few weeks ago i noticed what seemed to be mites or lice clusters on her head so I dustedher with DE. She eats Nutrena feather fixer as well. Well last week during our cold snap i noticed her feathers looked wet but weren't, they also had like a yeasty smell to them. So today it was in the eighties so I decided to give her a bath and take a better look. I totally started freaking out when her feathers just started falling out and her skin fealt like a hard growth and is the color and looks like a yellow sponge. Help I have no idea whats going on with her ![​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    DE will not kill lice or mites. You need some poultry powder or Sevin powder. She could have a major infestation going on there, and I would also keep my eye out for infection. Is this area oozing?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like some sort of cyst, tumor, or abscess. Abscesses are usually puffy, not hard. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? I would have her checked out at the vet's.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. fluffygirls85

fluffygirls85 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Citrus, fl
    Definitely firm tissue on top of her head and under each eye. Im almost positive shes had her mereks before i bought her a few months ago. Well darn I was told DE would do the trick I'll get another product tomorrow. No oozing.

5. fluffygirls85

fluffygirls85 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Citrus, fl
    Totally freaked out that its mareks. I messaged the breeder she came from to confirm her vaccine, but no reply. Poultry savvy vets aren't that common I hope my search for one on Monday will be successful.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm embarrassed to say that when I first saw this, I thought it was her head, then looked again, and thought it was her tail area. Is that just a hard scab on her head? My polish hen had her feathers all pulled out and her head pecked by a young rooster, and it looked like that picture after 3 days. It was runny and bloody, and later became a leathery hard scab. After applying neosporin for 2 days, then BluKote, 3 weeks later feathers grew back in after the scab fell off. That may not be her problem, but just a suggestion. Maybe she scratched her own head and under her eyes? And I forgot to say Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Don't be embarrassed. I thought the same thing.

8. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    What did the mite/lice clusters look like? Have you ever seen stick tight fleas before? In Florida, they are fairly common, and I have had a couple Silkies with similar symptoms as you have listed, but they had stick tight fleas.

9. fluffygirls85

fluffygirls85 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Citrus, fl
    Can't sleep thinking about this hen. I don't think its stick tight fleas, after researching images it doesn't appear that way. As a dog groomer I'm pretty good spotting those little jerks. The clusters were at the base around each head feather so I could see where a serious head scab could come into play. Funny how the only other area affected was her bum. So whats a good plan of attack? Neosporin her head, seven dust the entire area. Should I seven dust or frontline spray her? Im hoping for a better picture close up for you guys totomorrow. Thanks so much for all your help and the welcoming!

10. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    I would use either Vaseline or neosporin for the affected area and I would definitely use Frontline...either the spray or spot treatment. You can put a drop at the base of the neck (or at the bottom of her crest) under each wing, and a drop on her back ( about where the tail and back meet) Mites/lice/fleas have been HORRID this last year in Florida. I would also dust the area with Sevin or a permythryin based powder as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by