1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! crippled rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NorthstarJ, Aug 28, 2008.

1. NorthstarJ

NorthstarJ New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    Recently one of my best roosters young but huge, began walking funny he is now crippled. looks like his feet are scrunched up and wont support him. any ideas what has happened?

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What breed is he and how old? Was it a sudden thing or progressive? Can you post pics?

3. NorthstarJ

NorthstarJ New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    he is about 10 months old and he is a large white rooster with yellow legs. very large. cant post pics. i'm in bed LOL avoiding sleep.
    could possibly post tomorow when i take some

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    do you mean his toes are curled?
    are his toenails long?

check the bottoms of his feet and between the toes for any sores, blisters, or scabs, heat or swelling.(Bumblefoot)

is there any swelling of the feet in general?

what all do you feed?

has he been walking on rough cement or black asphalt?

confine him to smallish area where he will be safe, with soft bedding, food and water.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. NorthstarJ

NorthstarJ New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    yes toes are curled under. it began gradually progressed in about 3 days . I feed them egg layer pellets, and cracked corn. they are enclosed in a large pen very clean. Live in a very clean hen house with hay in boxes and shavings on floor. grass, dirt to run out on in pen. I have him enclosed separately now in his own house about 4' x 7' with clean shavings bedding. he is eating well and drinking well. cant seem to walk. when he trys he stumbles and tips over head first. Feet look fine just curled under. I can straighten them but he cant keep them that way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by