Help! Crop is huge

Roseynose

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
My 9 week old pullet has decided to eat all the grit in a full bowl. Her crop is huge and she feels like a hacky sack! What do I do!

Take the grit away, make sure she has normal food and water, and hope for the best.

Chickens eat weird things, sometimes in large amounts, but they come out fine more often than not.

In future, maybe offer grit in small amounts until she learns to self-regulate her consumption.

As @Eggcessive recommended, water is the single most important thing to encourage in this situation.

Over consumption of grit can be a compulsive disorder called "pica". Or it can indicate the chicken is feeling a blockage in her system and is instinctively consuming extra grit to combat it. It's more likely the latter.

You might assist her by also giving her a teaspoon of coconut oil , chilled to hardness so you can slip it easily into her beak.

Chilled coconut oil, great idea
As @Eggcessive recommended, water is the single most important thing to encourage in this situation.

Over consumption of grit can be a compulsive disorder called "pica". Or it can indicate the chicken is feeling a blockage in her system and is instinctively consuming extra grit to combat it. It's more likely the latter.

You might assist her by also giving her a teaspoon of coconut oil , chilled to hardness so you can slip it easily into her beak.

I've been carefully massageing her crop and she ate some of the coconut oil. She has been pooping a pile of wet grit every 10-20 min that I cleaned up right away so she won't try eat it. Should I put her in the coop with her buddy for the night? Or should I keep her in with consent access to water.

Back
Top Bottom