Help! Crushed egg on hens bottom?

talbritton

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
My hen appears to have a crushed egg stuck to her bottom. I have read about hens being egg bound, could that be what this is? If so, does that mean she has already passed the egg and no treatment is necessary?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

This happens to an older hen that I have and usually what is going on is that she didn't put a shell on the entire egg or it is a partially soft shelled. So it didn't quite pass completely out.

Make sure your birds have good access to plenty of oyster shell and keep the treats down to a low minimum. They need to eat their layer feed and not fill up on goodies. Layer feed is formulated to have high calcium to put hard shells on those eggs.

If this is an older hen, she may be nearing the end of her laying years. If this is a very young pullet, she may not have her egg laying machinery in gear quite yet and will lay better eggs in time.

Watch this bird to see if it becomes a habit or that she does not become egg bound in the future.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

After soaking her in an epson salt bath, I now think she has a prolapse. What looked like an egg is definitely not an egg! I massaged it and it seemed to go back In a little. Should I go back and try to push it in?

So I was able to push it back in. I put witch hazel and Preparation H. Fingers crossed! She's my friendliest of 6!!!

Smart thinking, I also think it's good to put her in a dark place for a day or two, to heal. Generally being in the dark will discourage the "egg routine."

Back
Top Bottom