1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP CRUSHED EGG

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rehabber0909, Mar 8, 2017.

1. rehabber0909

rehabber0909 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2015
    NC
    I have a first time mama who stepped on her ready to hatch egg. I can see the duckling breathing and the membrane appears to be intact. I just put it in my still air incubator with heat at 102 and 42% humidity. What should I do next? It's my first time too so I. Need all the help I can get. Asap!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture? You'll want to get that humidity up since the membrane is exposed, get it right up to 65 or 70 percent.

3. rehabber0909

Nov 14, 2015
    NC
    [​IMG]

4. rehabber0909

Nov 14, 2015
    NC
    I have a damp paper towel placed lightly over it to help with humidity

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I wouldn't put the paper towel directly over it, I'd just try to get the ambient humidity up. The paper towel being right on the egg might chill it.

6. rehabber0909

Nov 14, 2015
    NC
    I see a bit of feather? So maybe there is a small tear in the membrane, but it doesn't appear very big at all.

7. rehabber0909

Nov 14, 2015
    NC
    It's kind of around it not on it. I added more water too. That isn't a feather it's marker. My eyes are blurry from staring lol

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I'm not seeing that in the picture, but as long as there's no bleeding that's good. Edit: Yep I see it's marker lol. Since the shell is so broken you're probably going to be in for an assisted hatch since the duckling won't really be able to get traction to turn and zip. What day is the egg on?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  9. RooRidgeFarm

RooRidgeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi rehaber,
    I gave you all the advice on my intervention thread-take a look.

You definitely need to intervene, and soon. Hopefully the nostrils are already free of a little membrane. Work higher towards where the head or beak would be.

Take DULL tweezers and very carefully slowly pinch away some of the shell near the head area so you can see what you're dealing with. Work slow and just put the bottom side of tweezer right under the shell surface- don't include the membrane when you pinch down on shell piece. The reason you pinch shell pieces off is because of you pick or pull, you'll definitely end up yanking on membrane and cause bleeding.
    One you remove some shell, look at my advice on the intervention thread.

And lower your temp from 102 degrees to 99 degrees even. Waterfowl are to be hatched at a slightly lower temp than incubation. And 102 will dry things way too fast.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

It's not a feather, it's marker. And without knowing what day it was on, we should not be advising her to go ahead and start opening it up without that knowledge, especially since it didn't even externally pip yet as far as the OP has said. In fact, we don't even know if it's internally pipped. And ducklings take a long time to hatch from external pip to zip, during which time they still are absorbing yolk and blood. Opening up the egg too soon can easily cause the duckling to bleed out and die.

Not trying to sound rude, but there are a lot of things we should find out here before we rush to tell the OP to just start opening this egg up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by