Help! Crushed eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jbently28, May 17, 2018.

1. Jbently28

Jbently28 Chirping

May 7, 2018
    I have a heritage turkey hen, 2 buff orpingtons hens, and 2 Cochin bantam hens that have all been raised together since we got them last spring. I also have an EE hen and a RIR rooster that are housed separately as they were my first and the EE likes to pick on the other hens. They are however allowed to free range together during the day. The rooster has definitely been doing his job when it comes to my orpingtons. My turkey and one of my bantams became broody a few weeks ago. Having never hatched eggs, I decided to let nature take its course just to see if they would hatch before trying my hand at incubating. Both having been brooding for a couple of weeks now. I have candled all of the eggs to assure that they were fertilized. They were all laid and fertilized at different times.

The problem I'm having is I keep finding crushed eggs under my turkey. Wasn't sure if this was intentional or not. I know they can cull out the bad eggs and that they can also crush them on accident when turning them. I candledall if the eggs yesterday and marked their aircells and removed a couple that were nonviable. My question is would it be ok to move some of my more developed eggs to my bantams brooding box in hopes of them hatching? From candling them, they appear to range from day 12-16.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Unexpected chicken lover

Unexpected chicken lover Crowing

Mar 9, 2018
    Arkansas
    I would move them to the safest scenario...just my opinion tho
    Best wishes:jumpy

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  3. Jbently28

Jbently28 Chirping

May 7, 2018
    Thank! My thoughts exactly. I just don't want to cause any problems since they are housed together. I've never had any kind of issues with my turkey and I sure don't want to start now. She's already not too fond of our 6 week old ducklings (they're housed separately across the yard). She is full blown mama mode right now. Luckily, she is perfectly fine with me handling her eggs. I just don't want her to try to start stealing eggs from my bantam and end up crushing them.

4. Unexpected chicken lover

Mar 9, 2018
    Arkansas
    Aw, i see now...could u place fake eggs under her so she doesnt try stealing any? Or completely try to break her broodiness? I have no experience with turkeys lol so i can only offer this advice, sorry

5. Jbently28

Jbently28 Chirping

May 7, 2018
    I've just moved my older eggs to the bantam's box and left some the eggs that were newly fertilized with her so hopefully that will suffice her brooding tendencies. Delilah (my turkey) is determined to be a mommy, so doing everything I can to help her since I don't have a Tom for her. She really is the sweetest thing ever and I don't see her doing it for the wrong reason. From what I've read, Turkeys have a very keen sense of smell and can and will cull out bad eggs. I'll just have to watch and see what happens from this point on. This is a learning experience to say the least.

6. Unexpected chicken lover

Mar 9, 2018
    Arkansas
    Keep me posted...i love a learning experience too

7. Jbently28

Jbently28 Chirping

May 7, 2018
    I will do! I placed one of my fertilized EE eggs under my bantam as well. It's on day 6 and is doing great. The rest are all Buffs. I'm soooo hoping for some baby chicks. Just the idea is so addicting that I might actually have to go out and buy me an incubator. Does anyone have any recommendations for a first timer?

8. Unexpected chicken lover

Mar 9, 2018
    Arkansas
    Mine is a farm innovator lol i forget the number
    @KikisGirls recommendations?

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. Jbently28

Jbently28 Chirping

May 7, 2018
    Ok so here's today's update. I checked on the eggs this morning and all was well. I was gone most of the day to my daughters' field day. When I got home I checked on them again and there were only 2 eggs under my bantam along with bits of broken shell. I found an almost completely intact dried out membrane next to their water. It appeared to have tiny chick feathers attached to it but I never found any sort of embryo so I'm assuming it was eaten. I then coaxed by turkey out with some mealworms and removed her eggs for inspection. I found 2 of the eggs that I had marked as good just yesterday that she has presumably stole back from the bantam. One of them first appeared to had externally pipped on the side, but then I realized that it actually had what looked like a peck mark and then crushing around it about dime size. The membrane was still intact and there was no blood or anything. I immediately candled it and the little chick was moving around just as happy as ever. It looked like it could possibly be around day 16 or 17. I really wish I would have dated them to begin with but you live and you learn. Is there anyway this poor little chick can saved or is the crack too big? I've placed the egg back under my bantam for now because I don't have an incubator and I figured she would be less likely to cause more damage. I'm starting to think that it may possibly be one of my buffs that is pecking at the eggs. They have since been separated from the coop.

KikisGirls likes this.
  10. Unexpected chicken lover

Mar 9, 2018
    Arkansas
    I am so sorry to hear that:hit
    I really have no idea about the slightly crushed egg making it, but there is always hope:fl...
    Curious, how did the turkey get to the eggs? Im unfamiliar with those birds but arent they big? And who do you suspect ate the poor little baby?:ya

KikisGirls likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: