HELP ??Cut feet

got_coop

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Hello! I was hoping to get some suggestion and reassurance I’m doing the right thing by my girls. My two Brahma’s have some bloody toes, I noticed one two nights ago, I’ve been taking her in and soaking her feet with warm water trying to get dirt and debris off her feet, blow drying any feathers that got wet and then applying Neosporin, today we noticed the second was being picked on by the other chickens, we have separated them from the flock but what more can I do? (I know the cement isn’t good for her feet) she was brought into the garage for treatment.

Attachments

• 85D26CEA-B0D6-4E79-9A2F-98D056F707AF.jpeg
    85D26CEA-B0D6-4E79-9A2F-98D056F707AF.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 14
  • CBD66EA5-75B2-46FC-B160-B2DCF523986C.jpeg
    CBD66EA5-75B2-46FC-B160-B2DCF523986C.jpeg
    837.9 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC. What type of bedding do they have in their coop and run? Have you seen any lice or mites on the chickens? I would watch behavior and hang out with them in case one chicken is pecking at toes. Scaly leg mites could be a problem, and that is treated by applying vaseline to the legs and feet. Have your temperatures been below freezing? The warm soaks to the feet plus the plain Neosporin is a good treatment. Be sure they are dry before going back out side.

Welcome to BYC. What type of bedding do they have in their coop and run? Have you seen any lice or mites on the chickens? I would watch behavior and hang out with them in case one chicken is pecking at toes. Scaly leg mites could be a problem, and that is treated by applying vaseline to the legs and feet. Have your temperatures been below freezing? The warm soaks to the feet plus the plain Neosporin is a good treatment. Be sure they are dry before going back out side.
thank you! I haven’t seen any mites, they have just shavings in there now, most Recently the temps have been dropping to 20, this weekend we are in the negatives. Their run is just dirt right now because we get snow in the winter months, I thought if I had hey or shaving out in the run and it got wet, they could get sick from eating it. It’s just the two, I’ve checked the other four and they seem perfectly fine (thank goodness)

Yes, hay and shavings in the run can get wet and moldy. I use sand in my run, and clean it with a kitty litter shovel. I would check the feet daily for any discoloring and hopefully, this is not frostbite, but just pecking or irritation.

Thank you for your help! I’ve been wrapping their feet and watching the other ladies to make sure they’re leaving them alone. I think it is cuts, they seem to improving! 😊

Back
Top Bottom