Help! ...Cyst? Tumor? ... on hen's wing. (pics incl)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SurfinChick, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SurfinChick

SurfinChick New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    First cluck.
    I'm so thankful for the wealth of info on this site, but I have not seen anything resembling what I have found at the joint of my (11m/o) hen's wing yesterday. Other than this ugly mess, she appears to be happy and healthy, as does the other 5 hens and roo I have.
    She is free range, penned only at night.
    I know it's hard to tell everything from just a few images, but this "thing" protrudes out from the joint like a wart might.
    At first I thought it looked like her bone was poking thru her skin, but I would think if that was the case, there would have been significant bleeding and she would be in much pain. But she seems quite happy.
    I talked with our local chicken lady at TS supply and she's not heard of anything that looked like it, nor did the chicken farmer in line behind me.
    I am hoping that someone on here can offer some advice about what this is and how to treat it.
    We've checked the rest of the flock and no others have this.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    (you can click on picture for better detail)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To me it looks as if it might be 'rooster damage' that is well on it's way to healing. [​IMG]

3. SurfinChick

SurfinChick New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks for the comment, but I'm not sure that's what it is; He rarely mounts her (he loves his gingers ;) )
    I could see where it might look like an infected scratch from his talon in the picture,
    but the erupted part is at the end of a big protuding, hard,
    wart-like bump sitting up off the surface of the skin about 1/2".
    Evenso, we are going to keep a watch on it and see if it gets bigger.
    Would still love to know what the heck it is... it's one ugly mess for sure!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whatever it is - looks like healthy ganulation tissue around the edges of the lesion. As to the hard protruding part? Could it be bone?

5. fenc777

fenc777 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    I just read a post about a tumor on a roosters wing. I was searching for tumor related posts because my chick has a weird growth on her wing. It looks just like the picture you posted. The growth on the rooster was much larger and the owner did her own surgery on it. I can't bring myself to to that but am trying antibiotic ointment. The rooster owner gave her bird oral antibiotics which I may try. Let me know what happens with your bird. I hope all goes well for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by