Help - Daughter accidentally fed chickens potato peels

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magistradomina, May 18, 2010.

  1. magistradomina

    magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Besides monitoring them, is there anything we should do retroactively?
     
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

    Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

    21,157
    5,051
    556
    Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is one of the great myths on this site. There is nothing wrong with them eating regular potato peels. The danger is in them eating the sunburned green potato peels. I can't remember the name of the chemical, but the green sunburned part contains a chemical that is poisonous to you and to chickens. I don't know what the lethal amount of that chemical is, either for you or for the chickens. If those potato peels were not green, there is no danger. If they were green, the only thing I know to do is to observe.

    I wish you luck!
     
  3. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

    35,111
    134
    458
    May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Unless they were green potato peels they will be fine!
    Its the green peels that have something semi- toxic in them...
    My chickens have eaten many brown/red potato peels.. [​IMG]
     
  4. babsbag

    babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

    724
    4
    131
    Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    This is from another site. Just an FYI


    "The greenish hue is actually chlorophyll, but it is also an indicator that an alkaloid, called solanine, may be present under the skin of the potato. Solanine develops in potatoes when they are stored in the presence of light (which also encourages chlorophyll formation) and either at very cold or quite warm temperatures. It is toxic, however it would take a very large number of green potatoes to make you ill. This apllies to the green sprouts and skin.
    Since solanine collects just under the skin, it is safe to peel away the skin and a thin layer of white flesh before you cook the potato. Cooking at high temperatures (over 170 °C or 340 °F) partly destroys these.Believe it or not, potatoes are part of the deadly nightshade family. While it can make someone ill, its also poisonious to dogs . "
     
  5. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    Even if the peels were so green as so the plant was growing... they would have to only eat those peels to get sick. Shoot, the list of poisonous and do not feed list is a mile long but I'm pretty sure all my birds have nibbled or swallowed one of each things on those lists and survived. Most of the time they just avoid what they don't want to eat. Granted, they range without fences so they don't eat things out of boredom which can happen in an enclosed space.
     
  6. A.T. Hagan

    A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

    5,379
    144
    303
    Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Raw potato starch is a little hard to digest, but not inherently dangerous. Solanine in green potato peels is toxic, but they'd have to eat an awful lot of them to ingest enough to be harmful. Your birds should be fine.
     
  7. magistradomina

    magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Our birds are fine. Thank you for helping us![​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by