Help-Day 17-Clicking sounds coming from bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rroven, Jun 13, 2008.

1. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    So just before bed last night I'm watching my 11 salmon favorelle eggs in the turner and I hear this clicking sound coming from inside the bator. First time I ever heard it (first hatch) and it's intermittent. Is it a chick? Another dumb question... what do the words pipping and zipping mean during hatching?

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes the clicking sound is the chick!

Pip is the first "star shaped" break in the egg then there is usually a fairly long period of rest (don't worry) then the zip is when the chick breaks the shell all the way around so it can pop the top off of the egg and hatch. I hope that makes sense. When does day 18 start? It must be pretty close to time to get them out of the turner??

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The evening of day 18 is when you take the eggs out of the turner and lay them on their sides in the bator...you make sure you add water to the wells so the humidity can range between 60 to 70% sometimes 75%...no more opening the bator and watch the action start from the pips to the zipping out!!...Good luck on your hatching....

4. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I put them in the bator at 12 noon exactly so they get transferred to the other bator tomorrow at noon....hopefully the temps in that will be stabalized by then. Has been on since yeaterday. What temp should that be at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by