1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP day 18 and air cell too small

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1 Critter Camp, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I have had a very successful 18 days of development. I have opened the incubator only two times and have added water via the holes on top. ALL eggs that were fertile have developed and moving wonderfully.

According to the diagram I found on line, the air cell for most of the eggs are about like they should be on day 14...

What can I do to increase their odds of hatching?

Thank you for your help!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    In this case, I would consider removing the water you have in there, not upping the humidity when you lock down, but just stop turning them. Keep a really close eye on them and don't up the humidity until they start pipping, with any luck they will lose enough water to make up for a few days. Does your incubator have humidity control?

3. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Thank you for your reply!
    Day 21, things are looking good.
    One black polish with white head feathers has hatched... two more pipping...so excited!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by