1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickducklover, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Chickducklover

Chickducklover Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    I have 1 silkie egg left out of 15 eggs this is my first time incubating. I candled the egg last night and chick was moving and veins were a dark red then I candled a bit ago for lockdown and I don't see movement and veins are light and not as pronounced anymore. Did I lose my last egg?

2. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Never say never. New at incubating chickens but I have incubated parrots for 30 years. Sometimes the chick will head for the air pocket and you can't see inside as well. Did you put all eggs in at the same time? Have the other eggs hatched? I would hang in there and wait the term plus two to three days. That's what I do with my parrot eggs. They absorb the rest of the yolk pretty quickly right before hatching. Keep the humidity level steady, most important along with the temperature. Some of my Maran eggs did not hatch until three days after the rest and I had put them in at the same time.

3. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    During lockdown, the chick may not move as much, because he's resting and saving his energy to break the shell. The veins may not be as pronounced because he could be in the process of absorbing them for hatching. Don't give up yet!

4. Chickducklover

Jan 7, 2014
    Thank you I will keep you posted temp is 101 in still air and humidity is 63% the air sac doesn't look as big as pic I've seen

5. Chickducklover

Jan 7, 2014
    Ok so my air sac is same size as my other eggs at 7 days and my temp in incubator has dropped down to 96 without me adjusting it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by