Help! Day 19 - rotten egg

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
Last night I put the eggs into the hatcher and everything was normal. I candled as best I could but they were dark EE eggs so I couldnt see much. I put em all in there, and ran up the humidity... and now today I smell a rotten egg! I thought it was early enough yet, so I opened the bator and smelled each one; they all seemed to have a mild rotten smell from being in there, but I couldnt tell just which one. I found one that was cracked and I thought it smelled worse than the others so I tossed it, but the stench is still there.

It being day 19. what do I do?? Just cross my fingers it doesnt explode? How do I find it? I can't even candle these eggs!

Wow, if they are too dark to candle I think you were doing the right thing to do the sniff test. I find that a lot will weep before they explode so hopefully if you can't sniff it out you will find it this way. Yikes, I hope it was the one that you tossed. A cracked egg certainly could be your culprit.
fl.gif

Go to home depot, buy yourself a LED Lenser. It's pricey, $50, but you can candle a marans egg with it.

Just got through candling some real dark blue eggs from Lisa (DDD)... the Lenser shines right through!

Well i found it. It wasn't the one I tossed at first. It was another one. I started taking them out one by one and smelling all of them as I attempted to candle them. It was actually a blrw egg, the black I looked at and thought was a chick must of been rot instead. Now that that one is gone, there's no more smell.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and thats good to know about the Lenser mahonri.

I got a Lenser from Home Depot but it was only $22. It is a small flashligt that takes 2 AA batteries. It has 3 leds in it. Is there a bigger brighter one? I am having trouble seeing in some of my wellsummer eggs.

Back
Top Bottom