Help! Day 19 - rotten egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Apr 21, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Last night I put the eggs into the hatcher and everything was normal. I candled as best I could but they were dark EE eggs so I couldnt see much. I put em all in there, and ran up the humidity... and now today I smell a rotten egg! I thought it was early enough yet, so I opened the bator and smelled each one; they all seemed to have a mild rotten smell from being in there, but I couldnt tell just which one. I found one that was cracked and I thought it smelled worse than the others so I tossed it, but the stench is still there.

It being day 19. what do I do?? Just cross my fingers it doesnt explode? How do I find it? I can't even candle these eggs!

2. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I just realized it's only day 18 today!!! so I can still open the bator, but how do I find the bad one?

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    the rotton smell could just be left over from the rotton one. Did it ooze anything?, It dont take much to scent the bator!

4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Wow, if they are too dark to candle I think you were doing the right thing to do the sniff test. I find that a lot will weep before they explode so hopefully if you can't sniff it out you will find it this way. Yikes, I hope it was the one that you tossed. A cracked egg certainly could be your culprit.
    [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Go to home depot, buy yourself a LED Lenser. It's pricey, $50, but you can candle a marans egg with it.

Just got through candling some real dark blue eggs from Lisa (DDD)... the Lenser shines right through!

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well i found it. It wasn't the one I tossed at first. It was another one. I started taking them out one by one and smelling all of them as I attempted to candle them. It was actually a blrw egg, the black I looked at and thought was a chick must of been rot instead. Now that that one is gone, there's no more smell.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and thats good to know about the Lenser mahonri.

7. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I got a Lenser from Home Depot but it was only $22. It is a small flashligt that takes 2 AA batteries. It has 3 leds in it. Is there a bigger brighter one? I am having trouble seeing in some of my wellsummer eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by