Help, day 20, 9 external pips and can't regulate temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Allicoop, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Allicoop

Allicoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hi guys,
    Having a great deal of trouble regulating my incubator. It's been great till now but can't seem to keep it keeps rising and I have to keep turning it off to bring it down. It's sitting at 101.3. (38.5 Celsius). 2 chicks have hatched yesterday but one of them is fanning his wings. 9 have pipped externally this morning (12hours ago) and I have set up a fan in the room. No good. Tried turning it down, no good. It's a bellsouth, rather old with just a turning knob. The last couple of days have been super hot 103.6. Please, any help would be great,

2. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    I'm on day 20 by the way, thought I had written it

3. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    One little chick has his mouth open and looks soooooo hot

4. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Humidity has been steady for last 3 days at 64% but now is also at 74% .....might have to open it up to loose so humidity

5. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    I got him out.....humidity didn't drop and the temp didn't seem to dip much...lets hope I haven't stuffed the rest of the eggs up

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    What is wrong that the heat is so high??? can you keep your humidity up and still vent? perhaps a hanging damp dishcloth or something, do you thing your thermostat went or the knob is stuck??

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    If it is the turn knob type, I had a really hard time with that kind every time I went into lockdown.
    Lifting the lid would cause the wafer switch to loosed and the temps to go crazy. Make sure the wing nut and bolt are tight and crank it DOWN.... At this point, the temps being a little low would be better than high....

Oh... the wafer switch itself can go bad too..If you are on Day 20 and they are hatching, your temps have been high all along...

8. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Thanks math ace. We have made it to day 21 with 15 healthy chicks so far, 1 has a small amount of yolk sack still unabsorbed that was completely unassisted. I put him back in a shell and have him sitting in a cup. Not sure what to do, going to try and find advice on here.

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thats exactly what you should have done!!! and WAIT and WAIT some more!! CONGRATS!!!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

scroll down to umbilical cord issues.... [​IMG]

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Not every chick will make it, that is just way it is in REAL LIFE.
    However, 15 chicks is nothing to complain about :)

I will tell you that I upgraded my turn knob incubator to the new digital display hovabator incubators and all my hatching drama went away.... Best $150 I ever spent :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by