Help! day 21 no pipping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by outlawcluckers, Mar 18, 2017.

1. outlawcluckers

outlawcluckers Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I have a homemade egg incubator and this is my first time incubating.
    I'm on day 21 and there is still no internal or external pipping, and I'm starting to get worried.
    Has anyone ever dealt with this before? I'm not sure what I should do. The temperature has stayed around 99F to 102F(Though it spiked up to 106F on day 4 for no longer than 30 minutes, so I'm not sure if that's the problem),and the humidity the first 1-17 days was between 50-54% then after that 57-62%. to refill the water I've just been spraying water with a spray bottle through the ventilation holes and that seems to be doing okay.
    I only put in 11 eggs and as of day 15 only 2 or 3 of them are showing signs of development. They look very dark inside and the air cell is very clear, but no veins. I am doing barred rock eggs which are brown, but early in the development stages( day 7 candling )
    I could see no veins just darkness. Though I think they were developing at some point because of the growing air cell.
    So it's now day 21 and there is no peeping, movement, internal or external pipping.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Well, to begin with, 50+ humidity the first 17 days is kind of high. Many people find that high of humidity results in the egg not loosing enough moisture, therefor air cells don't grow enough and chicks are lost to drowning come time to hatch. There are few people that have success at higher humidity, but a good majority of us with table top incubators, not in high elevations, have better success with low humidity incubation the first 17 days. Best way to know how your humidity is affecting the eggs and when to adjust is monitoring the air cell growth.

Note: Air cells grow wether there is life/development or not. Even in infertile eggs, the air cells grows as the egg looses moisture.

Is your incubator still air or forced? Where are the temps being taken at? Top of egg level, ground level, higher than eggs?

3. outlawcluckers

Mar 17, 2017

Ok thank you that's great info! Also My incubator is homemade and still aired.and the temp is being taken from the top of the eggs:)

4. outlawcluckers

Mar 17, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I also had my first pip today at 5:30pm. Just wondering if it's in the right place?
    And if it's not what I should do? The egg is moving around and chirping a lot :)

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Those are some pretty round eggs, at least they look it in the pics...lol It's hard to tell from the pic. It looks fairly centered, but at hatch the air cells draw down significantly, so it could still be in the air cell. Chirping and wiggling is an excellent sign. Just keep an eye on it. Give it 24 hours as long as there's no sign of distress or drying membrane.

6. outlawcluckers

Mar 17, 2017
    Yes I'm not sure why the picture blurred so much....lol.
    Just found another pip on the egg slightly lower than the first one.[​IMG]

7. outlawcluckers

Mar 17, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Yay!!!! Meet Lucky!;):D

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats!

9. outlawcluckers

Mar 17, 2017
    Thank you!!!

10. outlawcluckers

Mar 17, 2017
    just a question, Lucky was the only one that hatched and I think she needs a friend,so since she needs to stay in the brooder box for 6 weeks;If I incubated more eggs right a way could I put the new chicks in the brooder box with Lucky? So by then Lucky will be 3 weeks old.:) ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by