1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Day 22 and eggs chirping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freemanj, Mar 6, 2015.

1. freemanj

freemanj Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    So I am a newbie at hatching eggs. I have a dinky incubator with a temp around 99.5 and humidity around 55 right now. It is day 22, and earlier today (1 pm) an egg was chirping and shaking. The day before, two eggs were shaking but no noise, and now have stopped! The one chirping egg has quieted now and shakes a tiny bit, occasionally. Is it time to help the little guy out? Im so stressed!

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Get your temp a little to about 100.5 and raise the humidity to 65 - 70. Sometimes they come a little later so don't give up on them. Do you have any pips?

3. freemanj

Mar 6, 2015
    No pips yet, thats why Im worried that my chirping egg is running out of oxygen. I am also too scared to open the incubator and pick it up to see if I get any response. Should I give them one more night? Currently on West Coast time. Note that my chirping egg was vocal around 1 pm and is now silent...... except I think I saw it shake an hour ago. Or maybe I just want it to be true.

4. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    They'll take long breaks because hatching is stressful and tiring. I am sure you will see pips soon. I know this is hard, but not watching will be less stressful on you. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. freemanj

Mar 6, 2015
    You're right, thank you. I started to read some former threads about people in my situation and saw some real horror and miracle stories, made me a little anxious to get to doing some open egg surgery if necessary. I suppose I will give them the night to think about coming out

6. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Remember that 21 days is an average and different factors play in to "hatch" day. So they may be getting ready for their hatch day. Good luck.

7. freemanj

Mar 6, 2015
    If anyones out there:

Update - After a long night ONE EGG has made a pip hole at about 8 am! Currently 11 am and no movement except the occasional lurch.... hoping he will get on with the process and come out soon......

Does anyone know an average time span of when they emerge after the first pip hole?

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It can be a couple hours or it can be 24 hours. The average with mine seemed to be between 12-18 hours. I had a couple that were zipping before I knew they had pipped and I've had a couple push 24 hours. It's one of those things you can't rush. They needs losts of rest, and they need to absorb any yolk and membranes that haven't been yet.

9. freemanj

Mar 6, 2015
    Do you shining a flashlight in every so often can affect them negatively? I can't help looking every twenty minutes or so and need the light to see.... I'm too excited. Could this possibly hurt them by startling them or something?

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Shining the light in the bator to see? No, if that were the case I would never have had any hatch at all. I'm a candling addict and if they can handle having a light shining in their egg the first 17 days, I don't think they care wether a light is shining in the incubator.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by