Help, Day 22, Pips & no further?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mvktr2, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mvktr2

mvktr2 Out Of The Brooder

I know the potential problems of too high a humidity during incubation and not enough air circulation as described in my state's awesome extension service website. http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_pipped.html

I have one egg, the smallest which the pip is up toward the end and the chick is working the hole making it larger. So far he's okay, he piped around 2:30 Last night, 12 hrs ago. 4 out of 7 eggs pipped so far as follows.

1st - Pip yesterday @ 4:00PM, 20.5 hrs ago. It was wiggling for a long time, at least 12 hours post pip. Haven't seen it move in a long time. Note this pip is mostly a little crack, not much more. Pip is at the widest part of the egg.

2nd - Pip yesterday @ 9:00PM, 15.5 hrs ago. Saw it last wiggle at about 3:00PM last night. Same as above haven't seen it wiggle in 10 hours or so. Pip is at the widest part of the egg.

3rd - Pip last night around 2:30 (this is the egg with chick alive & working.) approx. 12 hrs ago. Of note, this is the smallest egg, an extra I received with my order, think large bantam egg or small standard egg. It makes sense it would be the most ready to come out/most developed. I'm actually quite sure it's either RIR or BR egg as that's the other brown egg-layers the site sells.

4th - Pip this morning around 10:00, approx. 4 hrs ago. Not sure of wiggling as I've come out to office to post and get some advice. Pip is at widest part of egg, very much in middle of egg.

Note that the eggs are pipping in the order of size, smallest to largest. Also note that the pips are extremely small, none has pushed through a solid hole.

Lastly you should know I had 2 cooling episodes during my incubation at days 8 & 16 or so. I also fought too high of temps during first week of incubation. I mention this as it happened, otherwise I kept humidity around 60% for 18 days, now between 75-80 at lock-down. I punched new holes in the bator at lock down to increase air flow. I don't think this could be the problem as the 1 chick is vocal doing well trying to get out, clearly has enough oxygen. I figure my issue is one of the following:

A) too high of humidity during incubation causing small air sacs and drowning. (I doubt this as the eggs have piped and then shown life for hours and hours afterward. Note I'm in Mississippi which is generally very humid, plus we've had lots of rain lately, though the house, where the bator is, runs quite a bit drier.
    B) the chicks are just going to be slow to hatch due to inconsistency during incubation including too cool temps early on.

So here's my plea for assistance from the BYC community. What should I do? Should I take one of the eggs that seems inactive out to examine? I've got a bit of a plan to do this as I thought I'd take a pan of previously boiling water and hold the chick/egg over it to keep humidity up also focus a heat lamp on it to keep it warm. Why are my chicks, except for the 1 which is actually trying to get out of it's egg, pipping around the fattest part of the egg where I suspect the air sack hasn't been extended too?

Thanks for the help,
    Phillip

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They rest a long time after they pip. Maybe you're just missing when they are wiggling. My last hatch it took over 12 hrs from when I noticed it pipped. I was at work when it happened so could have been longer. anything happen since you last posted? I've never had my humidity higher then 70% I did have a major spike up to 95% and only got 1 out 6 chicks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. mvktr2

Some progress, 3 of the 4 that have pipped have made 'minor' progress. The other 1 of 4 is wiggling. So none are dead, but it's taking WAY long. Longer than others experience. My problem isn't so much with how long it's taking as it is with how little progress they've made. The first one to pip, which was very much a simple star crack, is the one that hasn't made any progress, it's now been 24 hrs since he pipped. I'm glad that they're still fighting, but I'm still worried that they'll get exhausted at some point and perish. I'm just unsure in general what to make of it all. Seems some are doing better, but still 3 haven't pipped and the 1st to pip has made no progress in 24 hrs.

Thanks,
    Phillip

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I've had a chick pip... the first of the batch to pip... and not hatch for 2 and a half days. She was the 2nd to the last to hatch.
    She pipped and did nothing for 24 hours. The I could see her moving her beak, but I didn't want to open the 'bator because I had silkies pipping & zipping. Then, after I figured she didn't make it, she zipped (in all of about 60 seconds) and was out. Perfectly fine.

5. mvktr2

Quote:I was hoping for info/encouragement like this. Thus far I've fought the urge to open the bator for ANY reason. This helps me fight 'the urge'. I'm encouraged that they haven't/aren't drowning since they're all still alive. So long as I know this, I'll have no problem leaving them alone. I'm anxiously awaiting pipping of the remaining 3 eggs which are the largest and are all Delaware. Really want me a small Delaware flock. Is it normal for them to hatch from smallest to largest like this? I assume it is as smaller eggs incubate faster, larger incubate slower.

Schlante,
    Phillip

6. mvktr2

Update...

1 fully hatched about 2 hrs. ago (7:00), that was #4 the most recent to pip. Numbers 1-3 are still wiggling & even making slow progress.

I'll update again before hitting the hay tonight.

Schlante,
    Phillip

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:I'm not sure about the slower/faster incubating idea, but the girl that pipped first in my story was a mille fleur d'uccle - the rest of the eggs in with her were silkies. It may be a breed-thing as opposed to an egg-size-thing.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    How are things this morning? It is normal for chicks to take varying amounts of time to hatch. They cannot drown (typically) after they have pipped the external shell. [​IMG] Drowning usually occurs during internal pip (and you won't see it happen). So I think if you have activity going on, it is best to be patient and wait for their pokey butts to make an appearance. Good luck!

9. mvktr2

Well the 4 that pipped all hatched, 2 leghorns, 1 Delaware, & 1 RIR. Sadly the Delaware was quite weak when he emerged from the egg, and never was right even though I hoped he would survive, he did not. No movement in the other 3 eggs. Looks like I'll have 3 chicks... suppose it's better than none! Now I'm wondering what to do with the most recent hatch, the Leghorn was drying out in the shell. He's doing well, still in incubator. I'll post another thread so it'll have the correct title to address the question I have about him, he's all dried out & wet looking!

Thanks,
    Phillip

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by