Help! Day 24 First chick hatched...none of the other have pipped..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Minifarmtn, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Minifarmtn

Minifarmtn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    Tennessee
    I have 14 eggs on day 24 in a still air incubator. The first chick pipped at 8pm yesterday and hatched at 7am this morning. It is very healthy and making all kinds of noise and running into the other eggs as if to say "come on guys! Join the party!" I feel so bad that none of the other eggs have even pipped yet. Is it possible that he/she is the only survivor? I don't want to intervene unless absolutely necessary...I candled on day 23 and all were alive. Please help! What should I do?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Well, you can candle and water candle if there are no pips. Other than that it's a matter of how long you want to wait. My very first hatch I had 17 going into lockdown. I had a faulty thermometer and didn't know it so my bator was running colder, a lot colder, than it should . I ended up with one hatcher day 24 and one day 25. The day 25 died leaving me with one surviving chick. It can happen.

3. Minifarmtn

Minifarmtn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    Tennessee
    Just got home and candled a few that haven't pipped...several have pipped internally and I can see them in the air sac, hear them peeping and can see movement. I have read the article on "when to intervene" and understand it is risky...since we are on day 24, is this something I should consider? I don't want to lose them if I can help...

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Chances of them living if they can't pip themselves are slight. You can give them another day or you can mark the air cell where the internal pip is and pip into the air cell by the beak to see if you can assess the situation. Just keep in mind, the chance of survival if you have to pip into the air cell is slim and you can not second guess your decision. No matter what you do after it's done if it doesn't work out you are going to question if it wouldn't have been better to do the opposite. You have to do what you think is best and if it doesn't work, chalk it up to nature or you'll drive yourself crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by