HELP! Day 26 opened egg at air sac, chick alive inside

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chikpee, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Chikpee

Chikpee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    I had 4 eggs left in my incubator. It's day 26 so I had given up. I opened one, it was rotten. The next one i opened at the air sac, the poor little chick is moving inside. I only realised yesterday from reading BYC that the temperature at the eggs was only 96 even though the thermometer was reading 100 (still air incubator). I have turned it up a little now, but probably too late.

I have covered the hole with wet kitchen roll and put it back in. Will it die? What can I do for the best? It's not cheeping. If it comes out will it have grown properly? I haven't touched the other two eggs. This hatching is not turning out to be as magical as I hoped.

I'm so happy it's alive and so scared I have killed it. Anyone know what I should do?

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Has the yolk been absorbed?

3. Chikpee

Oct 18, 2009
    I don't know what I'm looking for, but I can't actually see a yolk. There are veiny bits behind the membrane, other than that really hard to see.
    Chick really wriggles when I cheep at it

4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Hmmm, im not sure what you can do. Allow it to rest a bit, until I think o something to do. There are always veins on the membrane, is there any blood?

5. Chikpee

Oct 18, 2009
    No blood.

Maybe I should leave it 24 hours now the temp is up a bit and see how it is tomorrow?

Thanks so much for your help

6. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Considering there is no blood, it may be completely fine.

ETA: It may have been ready to hatch, may not have pipped though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  7. Chikpee

Oct 18, 2009
    I really really hope it is OK.

Do you know why it wouldn't have pipped? If this one survives I don't know if I should open the other two eggs or not. My nerves are wrecked.

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Do not open the other eggs. It may have just been about to pip, when you opened it. Give them some time.

9. Chikpee

Oct 18, 2009
    You're right - everything crossed...

10. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] Hopefully, everything should be ok [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by