Help! Day-old got too cold, is lifeless. Resuscitation possible?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sevenbabychicks, Sep 12, 2012.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I got up too late this morning, and found that one of my hen's brand new babies had gotten caught in a bit of plastic fencing. It's lifeless and cold - but not stiff. I remembered the part in The Natural History of the Chicken (movie) where the lady was able to bring her cold chicken "back to life", and saw a bunch of threads on here about the possibility of reviving a chick with a hairdryer.

The problem is, I don't own one of those. Right now I have the chick surrounded by jars and ziplocks filled with hot water. Is there something better I should be doing? At what point should I give up? No rigor-mortis so far.

Oh, I don't think it could've been stuck in the fencing for more than 45 minutes... but it's the coldest morning of the season - below freezing [​IMG]

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Do you have a heat pad? Those get pretty warm. Or you could put it in your shirt. Body heat is great for warming something/one up.

3. lindsay297

lindsay297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Do you have a heat lamp?? or a spot light that you can put the chick under with the bags of water?? By no means an expert but, just a thought??
    A hot water bottle might work too!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I was going to go out and buy a heat lamp, but the chick looks to be stiffening up. Ugh, so sad. It was one of two faverolles/EE - one's yellow and this little guy was jet black. I was really looking forward to seeing what it turned into. I wonder what makes resuscitation possible for some chicks and not others?

5. lindsay297

lindsay297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Petawawa, Ontario
    Sorry to hear about your little one!! It is hard when you try and it doesnt work. If only we knew the answer to that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by