Help!! Day old stuck to membrane and shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by montain_dweller, Jan 26, 2014.

1. montain_dweller

montain_dweller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone advise me on what to do for this poor little peep.
    I used a damp cloth and removed some of the stuff, still so much that the poor thing can fluff up and get soft.
    Should I keep doing this until all the bad stuff is cleaned off?
    Here is the scene I woke up to. Baby bird stuck to bottom of shell an the screen that the eggs rest on. [​IMG]

2. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    After a few different cleaning session, baby bird is looking much better. Getting used to walking around and using its newly freed parts

3. bittychicks

bittychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    North Carolina
    That's good to hear! In my recent hatch I had a chick that looked like that with stuff stuck to it, and I think something else must have been wrong because its feet were all curled up and it couldn't get up. Sadly it died a couple of hours later.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm glad its doing better!

5. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    At about 2 am I was certain the peep was a goner.
    I especially thought so at 8 when I woke up and checked on them.
    Now I think it will make it. It's been out of the shell since last night, and really seems to be improving greatly.
    Still not fluffy, there was a lot of gunk stuck to the poor thing.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

If I have chicks with gunk stuck to it, I take it to the sink and run a small stream of warm water over the area and use an old soft toothbrush to work the stuff off. Then I towel dry him and put him back in the incubator to dry off or use a blow dryer to help with that. Although, that's alot of air moving over them with that. Chicks that don't fluff up usually have a coating of something on them preventing it, so that's what I do.

7. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    Thanks for the positive feedback. Still a little funky, I may give the toothe brush a go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by