HELP! Dead Birds, Feather Loss...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BsckwoodsPlaid, Feb 23, 2015.

1. BsckwoodsPlaid

BsckwoodsPlaid New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    I have eight hens who have lost the majority of their belly feathers and the feathers directly above their tails. This has been happening for the last two months. As of the last week they have reduced their drinking and eating. One hen just died randomly and appears to have not been pecked to death. Egg production has dropped. I used to extend their daylight with a lamp but quit three weeks ago. It's winter here in Maine and it has been below freezing for weeks. There is ventilation in their coop. Perhaps not enough. I use pine shavings. I provide Flocka block and scratch. A majority of the base of the deep bed method is frozen because of the temperatures so I cannot clean the coop completely. I am wondering if I have mites. I recently lost one hen who appeared to have a prolapsed vent. She bled on a another hen which I previously believed to be the cause of her death. Here are some photos can anyone help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickens123432

chickens123432 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    sorry about your loss:( but the feather loss may be mites but they don't tend to stick around through winter. do they have a heatlamp? or any vaccintions?

3. BsckwoodsPlaid

BsckwoodsPlaid New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    No vaccinations. I used to use a heat lamp before the feather loss began and a coworker said that it causes moisture and can cause pecking at one another. Coop is insulated and stays fairly warm. I've always wondered if my ventilation holes were drilled too close to the roosts.

4. chickens123432

chickens123432 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    If the coop is warm then you don't need a heat lamp but if you don't close it up at night i would defiantly recommend one. I would clean at the coop a bit and use powder and treat for mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by