Help. Dead chick broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CayuseRanch, Jun 17, 2011.

1. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Problem! Please help! This afternoon i got home to find chicky outside dead in the run and momma on nest. Did she get down and take baby with but leave behind? Did another hen steal her and kill it? There is no way the chick got out on it's own and momma seems protective. Could it have died and she kick it out? It was early, but seemed good yesterday. Should I move mom somewhere private? Help newbie here plz

2. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

any of the things that you suggest could have happened. if it is possible isolate mom and her nest from the rest of the coop in a way that keeps the chicks contained so if other hens did this at least you save the other chicks. keep us posted..........

3. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So sorry

4. CayuseRanch

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I can move her butworried with it being the 21st day snout her quitting and handling the eggs. Thoughts?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Can you lock her in the nest? She probably will not leave for a couple of days anyway. That would keep the others away from her.

6. CayuseRanch

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Well I went to move her and one was coming out of the shell. Going to give it an hour then try to move her. If I can't because they are hatching I'm going to have to figure out a way to build something that will cover the top and front. Favorite nest that she is in, is of course the most difficult to close her into.

7. CayuseRanch

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Ok one more question if I close her in what are the chances that she may panic at not being able to get out if she wants out? Sorry newbie here.

8. CayuseRanch

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    okay, I moved mom to her own space she is in a dog house in a small run. when i moved the eggs one of them was starting to zip. Is that what is called a pip?
    Baby is good but tired.

9. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

a pip is when they first break thru the shell, when they begin to break a line around the egg, thats a zip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by