HELP Dead Chicken #2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SouthernOregonChick, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SouthernOregonChick

SouthernOregonChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    This morning I went to let my flock out and found that one of my red star hens lying dead where they roost, as if she had died in her sleep. About 2 weeks ago another of my chickens was found this way. I am extremely worried for my flock. Everyone seems healthy and has been acting very normal. I am not sure how old this hen was because she was given to us last summer, however the woman told us that she believed them to only be a year old. When they were given to us we took many precautions introducing them to our 3 EE's. They were not fully integrated until September, but have been living together happily since. The hens that have died so far showed no symptoms leading up to their death, except for the fact that neither have laid in a month or two and both seemed to be the most aggressive hens. I am extremely worried- petrified- at the thought of any more dying. WHAT DO I DO?

2. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I'm no expert but I can tell you few things that I have read about others' experiences just here on BYC.

Was there a chance that they were egg bound? As in, had an egg stuck inside them.

Also check your lighbulb if you have one in there, because I saw one post on here recently where the infared light bulb someone used was coated with teflon which is toxic to birds.

3. I'm so sorry. I don't have any great advice, You can get an autopsy at great expense with no guarantee they will find anything. If you know someone very familiar with chicken innards, you can ask them to take a look for some gross cause, or you can do it yourself (yuck). I've had a couple that have dropped dead like that with no clue. If everyone seems O.K you might want to take some poop samples to a vet to see if they can id. anything just to relieve your mind a little. Have they started their spring laying? If not, this would be a good time to worm them just to be on the safe side. Do a really good spring cleaning of the coop on a nice sunny morning and wash everything down with a good cleaner solution. Let it dry out before putting them back in. Give them some electrolytes and maybe a nutritional flush in their water to pump them up. If you do worm, follow up with some good restorative practices, like giving them natural yogurt with wheat germ and fish oil, flax, whatever you think is good for them. Keep your eye out for loose stools, odd coloration, drippy noses, and any lethargy. Give them some fresh greens minced up or a whole/half head of cabbage to entertain them with. Of course, don't go overboard with diet changes all at once. Just step up a little each day, while maintaining their regular feed. Check different poulty health books/guides and try to narrow down some possibililities about your dead hens.

4. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Actually, if you still have the chicken you can contact your state veterinary lab and they will do a necropsy on it for free or very low cost. You'd have to double bag it and put it in the refrigerator, not the freezer. I'd look them up and call them. They'll tell you what you can do.

5. SouthernOregonChick

SouthernOregonChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    I do still have the hen, but I looked up my state's veterinary lab and it is over 5 hours away. About the hens being egg bound, I researched this when the first hen died and most things I have read say that the hens' behavior changes and they are lethargic and act like they want to lay. Is this true? If so I don't think that's what my hens have died from, because the day before their deaths they were out and about all day, and alive and well when we closed them up for the night. :-(

6. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    The only other contact I can think of is your county extension office. I'm assuming by your screen name that you are from Oregon? If so, I looked up the link to the list of county extension offices in the state.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/find-us

Sorry I can't be of more help. I've been in your position and lost a hen for no apparent reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by