Help Dead Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shishimarie, Sep 20, 2018.

1. shishimarie

shishimarie Chirping

Jun 25, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok this might be a long story but I really getting tired of find a dead chick every morning. Back in late August my hen went broody. So I decided to expand my flock (at the time 3 orpington hens). I had 10 fertiziled eggs shipped to me. I placed them under mama hen but around day 12 none of them showed any signs of developing. I left the eggs under mama hen because I figured I could swap them out for some 1 day old chicks. I was so surprised when 4 eggs did hatch. BUT I had already order 1 day old chicks to be shipped. I figured mama hen will just have 13 chicks to care for. The chicks arrived last Friday (sept 14) they all looked great and after some food, water, and rest I handed them over to mama hen. She took to all of them and they all snuggled under her for the night. The next morning I did find one dead but I figured it probably had injuries from the travel or was the runt or overheated or a number of other possibilities. but then I lost one on Monday, Wednesday, and today (thursday). I don't know what is happening. Is this normal? All the chicks that have died were ones that were shipped. So now I have 9 chicks. yes that is still alot of chick left but I just want to know is this something I did. Did I give too many to mama hen? where they just the runts and its survival of the fittest? Could it be bad genetics? Could it be trama from the shipping? I just don't understand and its so sad to see a dead chick when the day before it was running around looking fine. Thanks for any support

2. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    Take them away from the hen.

3. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Yes, I would separate the chicks from the hen just to be on the safe side. Go setup a brooder.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Rick M like this.
  4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Don't necessarily jump to removing them from the hen!

What did the dead ones look like and where were they? Were they smashed? Pecked to death? Fail to thrive? More info needed on what you think caused their death.

5. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    If the chicks are removed and they still die then you know it’s not the hen. If you leave the chicks with the hen and tomorrow another chick is dead you still wouldn’t know why.
    I give the benefit of the doubt that a smashed chick, eaten chick or anything else isn’t obvious.

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Good points. But I would leave the chicks she hatched with her. Remove the shipped chicks, since they are the ones dying.

7. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Songster

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    As always, I would suspect coccidiosis, especially since it's only shipped chicks dying.

8. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    Yeah but she said the hen readily accepted them all. I may be giving the benefit of the doubt but sick chicks aren’t hard to tell from healthy. Granted the shipped chicks can drop dead within a week or so after looking ok but most that have issues will be noticeable.
    Plus if that’s a first time broody that’s a lot of chicks.

9. TheTropix

TheTropix Songster

Sep 6, 2012
    Piney Woods in Texas
    Also check their little bottoms. Sometimes chicks that get stressed (shipping, temp changes....), their little bottoms will get 'pasty' and clog up the poop works. That'll kill them, too. There are so many things that can come into play. I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this.

10. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Check them all for Pastey Butt, and also keep an eye out for any of them just standing around lathargic with their eyes closed. It wouldn't hurt to give them some NutriDrench vitamins and switch to Coccidiosis medicated baby food, that's if you don't have them on that feed already.
    Best of luck to you!
    :old:pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: