Help: Dead in Shell on internal pipping (WARNING: Graphic pics of dead chick)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KrisLW, Jan 24, 2013.

1. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I just had 6 eggs in the bator. All proceeded well and 5 hatched successfully. However, for some reason the 6th one died just as it seemed to pip internally (I'm not entriely sure whether it actually pipped). I opened the egg up and it looks fully formed but the yolk was not completely absorbed. I'm at a loss as to why this happened. It was the largest egg of the lot and there were no problems with the rest. They all hatched easily. Most pipped on day 20 and hatched on day 21.

Here are some pics. Any clues anyone?

Thanks

Kris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awwww sometimes it not related to artificial incubation, sometimes chicks are just weak. How late was she when you candled her?

3. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    It looks really wet, maybe your humidity was too high.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    To me the air cell looks large. Maybe the egg was more porous or older so it dried down more? The membrane also looks dry so that made me think that too.

6. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your replies. Maybe it was just a freak one that gave up. Humidity was fine throughout and others hatched easily.

Kris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by