1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Dead Silkie!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CreamBruelle, Nov 24, 2016.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Sometime this morning I went out to my chicken coop and saw my favorite buff Silkie outside looking like it was freezing. I couldn't get it inside because I can't get into their run so I decided to shake a bag of mealworms and it perked right up as if nothing was wrong. I just came home and I found it dead in its coop. I have several big chickens in the coop as well and they usually trample the other bantys when getting food so I'm wondering if it got injured or if it's some kind of disease. Please help!!

Thank-you

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You're the one who needs to examine your Silkie. We aren't there. Look for injuries. Signs of it being in a fight. Torn or missing feathers.

Examine its crop. Is the crop all the way empty? If so, that may point to it having been sick.

The only way for you to find out what made your Silkie die is to sent its body to a lab for a necropsy.

A lot of times a sudden death is caused by something stupid we did, such as not thinking and spraying insecticide on ants around the run. Chickens eat the dirt and ingest the residue, and they die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by