Help decide what 3 i should buy today...

walkerkm

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Ma
Hello-

I'm headed to go buy a few more girls today and would like to get your thoughts of what i should bring home. I currently have 2 RIR, 1 NH, 3 EE's and a Buff. The only 2 that are laying are the 2 RIR's. anyday the rest should start...i hope.

I found someone that has various breeds such as: Rhode Island Red and Black, New Hampshire Red, Swiss, Lincoln Shire Buff Hens, Ameraucanas, Plymouth Rock, and Black Sex-Links.

all are 6 mos to 1 year-i'm going for the ones that are currently laying...what do you think would be a good choice and will blend well with my others? I really want an Ameraucana-so that will be one of them. I would love a plymouth. not sure on the swiss or the Lincolnshire Buff...

thanks for any feedback you have!
big_smile.png

I like the idea of the Lincolnshire Buff...but I like things that are different & something not everyone has. If they are true Ameraucanas, that is a definite.
big_smile.png

Plymouths are sweet chicks & good layers.

I know nothing about the Swiss. Is there a link to info on the breed?

I think that a lot of your choice depends upon your personality and what you expect from the chickens. If your main concern is more eggs, then definitely the egg producers like a Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock or Sex Links would be your choice. If you're looking for personality then there is a lot of that in other chickens. I have a Buff Orp, Blue Andalusian, NHRed, Austrolorp, Speckled Sussex and an EE. Of the bunch, the one with the most personality is Carmen, the Andalusian. The smartest is the NHR followed very closely by the EE. The Austrolorp is a shy, cautious girl although I've heard most aren't, the Orp is a big teddy bear and the Sussex is a regal, dignified queen. And they all get along.

If it's lawn ornamentation - go for the different colors.

Mary

I have BO's, Barred Rock X's, RIR, BA, Red Star and Plymouth Rock. The Barred Rock X's are super friendly (will run across the yard to see anyone who goes outside and stand still to be petted - they even seem to enjoy being picked up and given lots of attention). So far the little Plymouth is the friendliest of the four youngest chicks. I would definitely get more of these girls!

Okay, so here are the 2 that i chose...Plymouth Rock and Black Sex-link.
Can't believe that i have to go through the pecking order process again! I think the new black sex-link will be at the top of the order-she seems like she is already ruling the roost! She's a hen right? she is awful big.

37262_new_hens.jpg

Back
Top Bottom