Help Deciding: River Sand, or Deep Litter Method in Coop?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Plymrocker, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Plymrocker

Plymrocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi All!

As some of you know, we are new first-time chicken owners! I have a somewhat urgent question for you if you will, as our flock are 6 weeks old, and will be going into their almost-done coop in a matter of days!

I've been researching for weeks about what we should be doing on the floor of the coop, and I am finding the info on methods are really quite conflicting, as to what is best.I have looked around here on this forum as well. I am guessing it's a matter of preference, but I have been very torn between using river sand, and the deep litter method. I then read an article saying all kinds of scary stuff about using the deep littler method, (I forget where now, or what exactly was said...but one thing I remember is a fly problem-don't want that!), and so decided, o.k., we'll do river sand. Then I just read a great post on the deep litter method, and I'm leaning back towards that now! I just don't know for sure, and I need to make a decision quick! Plus, I can't seem to find river sand sold around here. (Plymouth, MA). The sand and gravel places don't sound like they even know what it is, but they offered course beach sand.

It's a well built coop! Vented roof, air vents near the top, and it opens on one side like a barn, for proper clean out and access. But it's also built tight to keep out predators, mice, etc. Since we had decided on the sand method last, my husband primed the floor, and we're ready to put down peel and stick flooring. Can we have that for a floor, and do the deep littler method now, anyway?

I just do NOT want smell, or flies, It seems like scooping out the poop out of sand would keep it cleanest in the coop. But there seems to be a good argument for the deep little method, as well.

So, hoping everyone's input can push us one way or another with confidence. Grateful already for your time and sharing your experiences and knowledge. 1-2-3 Go! :)

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I recommend a roost board with sand and PDZ....because poops are easily siftable and the PDZ greatly reduces odors and moisture.
    .....and kiln dried pine shavings on the floor...absorbs moisture.
    Moisture is the root of most odors.

Not what you asked I know....just thought you might need another option.

Sand on the floor is cold in winter and might not dry easily in your climate.

Pics of your coop anywhere? That could make a difference.

3. Plymrocker

Plymrocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Ok Aart, yes I think my husband was going to make some kind of poop board that pulls out as well. I'll have to check with him. So they don't poop much unless on the roosts, and over the poop board? And otherwise, the pine shavings on the peel and stick tiles will be ok?

Here is the last photo I have of the coop, although it is much further long now:
    [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I used a foam backed sheet vinyl because I wanted no seams anywhere for liquid to get thru to the hardware cloth and plywood under the vinyl.
    I cut it at the corners and bent it up the walls a bit too. You can see the deets and pics on 'My Coop' page link under my avatar.

It's just that lots of poop happens overnight, so less on the floor...but it's not like they are litter trained to poop only on the board.
    In winter when they might spend way more time inside you'll get more on the floor...but they also spend time on the roosts during the day in winter too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by