help deciding when to assist

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aafairchild, Mar 21, 2015.

1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi

This is only my 2nd time incubating. My 1st chick hatched at 7am so far I have 4 running a
    round. I have 2 that seem to be having a little trouble. I am concerned about shrink wrapping thepoor babies. The 4 that are out are almost dry and ready to .move, hence my concern about humidity. They have clear external pips so they are not immediate danger. I have to go back to work monday so i am thinking of assisting tomorrow evening if they are not out. These 2 did pip a bit later maybe 2 hrs. Does this sound like a reasonable time frame. That would put first 4 between 28 and 34 hrs post hatch. Too soon too late? Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    alice

2. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    They are still in a good time frame. I've seen them take almost the whole day once they pip.

Remember, the yolk is absorbed just before they hatch. It is possible for them to go 3 days on that. That's how hatcheries are able to ship day old birds. I'm not saying you have to wait 3 days, but it won't hurt your first ones to hang out in there for a day while the others catch up.

Some are totally against assisting. Some aren't. I have helped twice & both chicks ended up fine. It is harder than you think! I don't think you'll have to make that call in this case.

3. aafairchild

Aug 24, 2012
    Update 1 of them just popped her top and rolled out. The last one is still working. I can see her moving. She may very well be out by morning. Just getting ready in case she needs a bit of help.

Thanks for advice

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG]

5. aafairchild

Aug 24, 2012
    final update

She made it on her own late last night. I now have 1 egg that has shown no activity and I will end up doing an eggtopsy on it to find out what happened. 6 adorable little mutt chicks to add to the mess I already have.

Thanks
    Alice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by