Help deformed chicks!!!!

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
Yesterday I had six chicks hatch out of my incubator. Two of these guys have problems ones right eye didnt develop, and his beak is crossed. The other is a runt who cant seem to get up on his feet. Is there anything I can do for either one? Should I just put them out of their misery or should I leave them alone and see if they live? I know the one cant be helped with its eye but is thereaway to fix the beak, and can we do anything for the other ones legs? Any ideas and advice are welcome.
Fairpictures2007025.jpg
Fairpictures2007027.jpg
Fairpictures2007029.jpg
Fairpictures2007028.jpg

If it were me, I'd put 'em down. No need to possibly *let* them live miserably, even if you baby them and help them constantly. Besides, if it's a genetic thing, you sure as heck don't want those genes passed on.

I know it seems cruel to "do them in", but I agree with the PP. Nature knows best and these little guys would have been left behind had they had a "real" momma. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone, but just my 2-cents. You certainly would never want to let them reproduce.

Unfortunatly I guess you guys are right, I have grown so soft over the years, and my daugther is wearing off on me. I hate this part of having chickens, and It really sucks that two had these problems. I wish I knew what hens these eggs came from. I never had this problem ever before and It really sucks that this had to happen. Thanks for the help.

Give it a couple days for the chicken that can't walk. I hade the same problem with one of my baby chicks, when the chick hatched it couldn't walk on its legs, the chick just flipped itself on its back when I tried to put the chick upright but after about 4 days the chick was fine, just make sure you dip the beak in the water so the chick can drink

oh AlleyOops hunny... I am so sorry about these little guys. You have just had one heck of a week haven't you. Well, you know I dont have alot of experience, but I would have to agree with the others and I hate to say that... but I would fear these little guys wouldn't make it anyways.

I had a turkey that had no eye... I should have put it down, but I didn't and I babied it... needless to say... I lost it at approx 10 weeks after I was totally attached to it and was heartbroken.

Good Luck hunny... send me an email... talk to you soon

Tes

It's up to you but I would cull after a few days if the birds don't recover/improve. I have a cross beak bird and it has a hard time eating. I plan on butchering it once it get's a little more meat on it's bones. It didn't show any crossbeak for the first two or three weeks though, so your bird will probally become a very bad cross beak. Were the parents siblings?

Back
Top Bottom