HELP! deformed feet!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bryntee, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Bryntee

Bryntee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]I'm pretty certain this baby is a silkie. I do have another baby with extra toes and read it's quite normal in silkies but this little one I'm concerned about has 2 toes on each foot that are attached. The third little toe is attached to the middle toe causing the middle toe to curl. At first I thought it was bumble foot? But looked closer and discovered they're attached. Not sure what to do or if there's anything to do! Please help!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Well the reason they are curled is because the smaller toe is attached to the big one. I've tried to straighten it but since the one toe is literally attached to it I can't straighten it. The skin is pulled really tight like there's no give. Very hard to explain.

4. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    He technically has 3 toes on each foot with the fourth toe being attached to the third toe on each foot. But the toes that are attached are smaller so the skin pulls the longer toe back so it curls. I will try and get a better picture. :D

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, another picture would help. :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    You may have to cut some skin to detach those toes. I'm afraid what is going to happen and it can happen very quickly in chicks, is those bones are going to grow in that position permanently. It is easier to correct defects very early on than it is later on. Bones are more malleable at this stage. Can the chick stand? It may be able to learn to live with it, if it can stand. If it can't, you don't have many options. If you have vets in your area that work on chickens they may have an idea.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Can't really see what is going on with your chick in the picture, but I've gotten hatchery chicks with fused toes before, usually silkies or orpingtons for some reason. In the past I have just let some go but now I prefer to get the toes separated asap if I can because they can scratch and walk more naturally later on as adults. If I can get them separated, I cut apart the toes with dull scissors and put some antibiotic ointment on them and tape for a day or two, doesn't seem to affect them any...you can numb the toes with an ice cube if you want.
    Seems to be common in marans also, there are a couple of websites with pictures of the surgery.

http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2011/06/maran-chick-fused-toes-surgery.html
    Here is a webpage where somebody had a marans chick with fused toes that they cut apart.

http://simplethrift.wordpress.com/2...leasing-webbed-toes-in-a-maran-chick-charlie/
    http://simplethrift.wordpress.com/2...rgical-update-on-charlies-webbed-toe-release/
    Different chick with even worse feet

8. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Well I would seperate them buuuuut it seems the toe that is attached to the middle wasn't formed all the way. :( like there isn't much for bones.

10. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Now with closer examination I don't think one of his wings works... it just hangs there and he doesn't seem to be able to move it... :( he can stand up and walk just fine but I know with just 3 toes on each foot and the fourth half toes being attached to the middle toes it won't be good for him in the future. Not sure what to do for the little fella! :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by