HELP! deformed feet!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bryntee, Oct 5, 2013.

1. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Looks like there's plenty of skin to cut, as in the toes aren't fused very closely. I would cut the skin between them if I were you, but you may prefer to cull. After all he/she won't make a good breeder. But it may make a good pet, good layer, good meat bird, good foster mother, or whatever. I've had silkie mixes that were high production eggwise, and all the various bantam mixes I've had were great meat birds. I've also got some pets, some foster mothers, some breeders, etc... Bad feet means you should examine the source of those genetics but it doesn't necessarily mean you must cull this bird.

If you want to cull, it's easiest done by holding the body firmly in one hand and ripping the head off with the other hand in one very fast and strong motion. You might prefer a less traumatic (for you, not the chick) method, i.e. chemicals or freezing, but removing the head the way I mentioned is the most humane way I've found.

Anyway, best wishes.

2. Bryntee

Bryntee Songster

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Oh wow. Lol. I cut the skin between the middle toe and half toe and splinted it then wrapped it on the worse foot. Ill see what that does. :) and on the other I cut just a bit between the middle toe and half toe and it seemed to help a little but the tip of the toe still curls. Not much I can do for that foot but he can atleast walk. He will probably end up as my pet as I'm a bit attached to the little fella. He's already got a name... Curly. Lol. Thanks so much for the great advice!! :D I hope I can help the little guy!

3. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

Hope his toe gets better. [​IMG]

4. Ciqala

Ciqala Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Best wishes to you and Curly.

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Songster

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Good Luck with Curly! Keep those feet clean until it heals properly!

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Best wishes to you and Curly. Hope it works.

Honey is a great thing for helping babies through trauma. It's got a LOT of goodies in it (if unheated) and can be a lifesaver, due to the electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, etc. I'd give him a little bit of honey on wholemeal bread or in water, (as in, just make it available, not worry about force feeding or making it his main meal), if you're inclined.

Best wishes.

7. Bryntee

Bryntee Songster

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thanks :) I will try the honey! I just unwrapped my make shift cast and it WORKED! I was so excited I wrapped it back up and the other foot so hopefully it will be perfect for him once I take them off this weekend. It was only on for 2 days but it seriously worked! Lol I used a piece of a qtip and the sticky wrap that looks like an ace bandage. :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Glad to hear Curly and his feet seem to be doing well, good work.

9. horsedirt

horsedirt Chirping

Mar 28, 2013
    Morriston Florida
    Yay Curly!

10. Katt66

Katt66 Chirping

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA

Awesome to hear he's doing better. And, yeah, when they're very young like this it's amazing how quickly splints and little tape shoes will fix curled toes. It's literally two days or so and you see results comparable to a human child wearing splints and braces for YEARS. As long as he's eating and drinking and not in distress I don't see any reason not to keep him around. Good luck and definitely keep us posted <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: