**HELP** Depue illinois Police came today said I have one week to get rid of chickens!

sandmbaker

Songster
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Illinois
OMG you guys I am a complete wreck. police came today and said I have one week to get rid of my chickens or the fines will start. I only have three small silkie hens and two ancona ducks. I have had them for three years and once we put up a privacy fence around our yard then everyone started suspecting things.
I cannot begin to express the love that I have for my girls. I hatched them and raised them and they slept under my pillow as babies. since I have gotten them I have been able to get off my depression medicine and they give me a reason to get up every day.
I first got the eggs to hatch them for my 8 year old autistic son to teach him about life and what hurts me most is how upset my son has been since he heard the cop say they had to go. he cries and cries and refused to eat dinner tonight. please please anyone help me figure this out I cannot lose my babies and I cannot stand to see the pain in my sons eyes WHAT DO I DO! WHAT DO I DO! I had always thought that silkies were an exotic bird breed not so much a poultry, and ancona ducks are an endangered species.

The ordinance states:

animals: prohibited: no person shall cause to be kept or keep, within the limits of the village, and hold or raise the same, any animal other than what is normally recognized as a house pet, nor shall any livestock, fowl, farm animals or wild creatures be kept for any time within the village.

you can argue they are pets, but it probably won't get you very far. I'm so sorry.

I had to get rid of my roos, even though they are legal across the street to the south of me.

Breaks my heart, I can tell you are heartbroken, but I'd start finding them loving homes.

So sorry but that is pretty clearly excluding poultry. It really stinks though that this has happened.

It seems the neighbour's complained

if you wanna get back at them without being mean then get a real loud parrot or DOG they are classed as house pets or a cat to poop in their flower beds

OMG you guys I am a complete wreck. police came today and said I have one week to get rid of my chickens or the fines will start. I only have three small silkie hens and two ancona ducks. I have had them for three years and once we put up a privacy fence around our yard then everyone started suspecting things.
I cannot begin to express the love that I have for my girls. I hatched them and raised them and they slept under my pillow as babies. since I have gotten them I have been able to get off my depression medicine and they give me a reason to get up every day.
I first got the eggs to hatch them for my 8 year old autistic son to teach him about life and what hurts me most is how upset my son has been since he heard the cop say they had to go. he cries and cries and refused to eat dinner tonight. please please anyone help me figure this out I cannot lose my babies and I cannot stand to see the pain in my sons eyes WHAT DO I DO! WHAT DO I DO! I had always thought that silkies were an exotic bird breed not so much a poultry, and ancona ducks are an endangered species.

The ordinance states:

animals: prohibited: no person shall cause to be kept or keep, within the limits of the village, and hold or raise the same, any animal other than what is normally recognized as a house pet, nor shall any livestock, fowl, farm animals or wild creatures be kept for any time within the village.
Is the fence new? Has anything else changed (new neighbors, etc.)?

You say you have had the birds for five years...those exact birds? What was the ordinance when you got them? Were they legal, or were you ignoring an existing law? Is it possible for you to house them inside rather than outside?

Does your village/town allow for zoning variances or zoning special exceptions? Our town has both. Regarding a variance, there must be proof of hardship if the variance is denied (usually, economic). The town will consider, vote, and choose to grant or deny based upon the hardship conferred. With a zoning special exception, however, the burden of hardship does not have to be proven. It may be granted for any of a number of reasons. It sounds as if your birds provide benefit to you and your son. I would petition the village with either of these (variance or special exception) if permissable. -worth a try.

Last edited:
Does your village/town allow for zoning variances or zoning special exceptions. Our town has both. With a variance there must be proof of hardship if the variance isn't granted (usually, economic). With a zoning special exception, however, the burden of hardship does not have to be proved. It may be granted for any of a number of reasons. It sounds as if your birds provide benefit to you and your son. I would petition the village with either of these (variance or special exception) if permissable. -worth a try.

yes get a doctors report stating you was on anti deps and since getting them you are off the meds

and same with your son

You know that could be the loophole you need. Therapy animals such as guide dogs etc fall under different rules or are exempt from certain rules.

I wouldn't get your hopes up but it would be worth contacting a solicitor to get them to draw some sort if legal letter up stating they are therapy animals (would need dr certificate of some sort too I'd imagine) and see if that at least buys you some time to get that allowed properly

You know that could be the loophole you need. Therapy animals such as guide dogs etc fall under different rules or are exempt from certain rules.

I wouldn't get your hopes up but it would be worth contacting a solicitor to get them to draw some sort if legal letter up stating they are therapy animals (would need dr certificate of some sort too I'd imagine) and see if that at least buys you some time to get that allowed properly
Therapy animals do not necessarily fall under different rules. ADA has very specific rules on assistance animals, and what does and does not qualify. Nevertheless, the benefit they provide might well be grounds for granting a variance.

Back
Top Bottom