Help designing re-purposed playhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoCalChicky, Jan 27, 2013.

1. SoCalChicky

SoCalChicky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    N San Diego
    This is my old playhouse (sigh)...it is on our acreage (yep, still in same house I grew up in 30 years ago) but needs to be moved to our backyard 100-200 feet away. It obviously needs some TLC and b/c of rotting needs to be somewhat stripped (so why not move it in the process, right?) It has electricity, small windows, and insulation. We're on 3 acres in San Diego so I'm sure the insulation is superfluous but I guess it would be nice for our occasional 30degree winter nights.

It will be on a half-acre fenced in smaller backyard (within the 3 acres) and I plan to add a smaller run b/c although I want the chickens to be pastured on the 1/2 acre I am sure there will be days we just can't let them out supervised for too long (lots of hawks). I have basic building experience and my husband is a contractor so I know we can handle it...problem is:

I have no idea where to begin............???? :(

[​IMG]

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I'd jack the thing up and set it on blocks if the base is sound. Then look for rotting. If the base is good, get some round fence posts, or pipe, longer than the playhouse is and roll it to where ever you want to put it. Don't forget to disconnect the electricity before the move, makes a heck of a spark. good luck

3. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    The possibilities are endless, looks like a great project!
    Defo check for rot and then make it secure would be my first guess, then have fun designing and building your chickens new home! Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. SoCalChicky

Jan 27, 2013
    N San Diego
    woah! you can do that?! brilliant!! How far do u think it would reasonably go without falling apart (assuming the base IS in good condition as u suggested)? It would have to go out and around the front through the RV entrance which is pretty far...maybe we can even hook it up to a truck or tractor and pull it along...

5. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Yes, it can be done. Easier than it seems.
    We (4 of us) rolled an 8'x8' shed about 100' across the yard - spun it around - and backed it into a niche in the trees.
    See the poles laying on the ground:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SoCalChicky

Jan 27, 2013
    N San Diego
    wow! impressive, canesisters! My husband just pointed out, however, that two sides have mold and we'll need to scrap those two sides or the whole project...Luckily he's certified in mold abatement something-or-other so he knows how to remove it...but I don't know if it's worth it to risk the chickens' health (or mine) dealing with it..

7. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    By the way, WELCOME to BYC! [​IMG]

I'm not one whole year into this yet, but the best advice I've gotten so far is to not take it too seriously. "Chickens are a hobby, not a religion". Somewhere on here there is a link to a chicken coop that cost something like a million dollars (seriously!) - but in all honesty, they are simple creatures with simple needs.
    A place to live that provides protection from wet, wind and things that want to eat them.
    Quality feed that meets the needs of their stage of life.
    Clean water.

All of the rest of it is more or less for our enjoyment. Have FUN!

edited to add:

If you find that you have to remove a wall - or part of a wall - for mold removal, you might want to look into the 'open air' style of coop (google it or do a search under the coops tab).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. SoCalChicky

Jan 27, 2013
    N San Diego
    THANK YOU!!! :) really need to go over and intro myself in that forum but right now I only have a burning desire and a neighbor who is anxious to sell some soon-to-hatch chicks!

And I agree...I would LOVE to build a fancy adorable coop but we're country-ish so no-one, including the birds, will care. And honestly chickens are messy so I would be more at peace knowing I put my time in something I didn't mind my pets slowly destroying!

My friend has an open-air coop and I'm going to look into them more...thinking that would be the smart way to go! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by