Help determining genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hippychicken, Nov 8, 2015.

1. hippychicken

hippychicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Hi,
    I'm considering purchasing an Americana chick, about 3 weeks old. I would like to pick out a hen, but I don't know how to tell if it's a rooster or a hen. Tips would be awesome :) thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

2. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

The comb will be larger on the male...they will even be a bit bigger the the females...also they seem to be bolder...first to the treats...the male fathers might be starting to show...longer around the base of the neck and just before the tail...they carry their tail at a higher angle...and their stance is more upright..even at that age...

3. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Unless you are paying a lot of money for it and (or) buying it from a private breeder, you will be purchasing an Easter Egger chick rather than a true Ameraucana chick. Hatcheries and feed stores (and the farmers who buy from them often and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas when they are in fact EEs. It's not going to be easy to sex them at 3 weeks as they will not be fully feathered and their combs will not be very developed yet, but some things you can look for are more pointed upright tail feathers, reddish or orange feathers in the neck, back, and especially the shoulder area (the sure sign of a male), and the development of three rows of peas in the comb (females typically have only a single row of peas). Female EEs in the majority of cases will develop a partridge looking black and brown feather pattern (similar to a duckwing pattern), but of course there are exceptions. Again though , three weeks is very young to try and sex them.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Michael

6. hippychicken

hippychicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Thanks for all the info!! It's much appreciated :)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by