HELP DIAGNOSE OUR MYSTERY ILLNESS.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChookBook, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ChookBook

ChookBook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Chicken land.
    Hi.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm in need of some help, as recently one of my three overly loved chooks has started acting rather strange.
    Early last week Audrey; our mystery breed chicken, fell ill in what we initially thought was a severe case of worms. My sisters and I first noticed she was a bit lethargic and not as interested in food as she'd previously been. Searching through her poop as "good chicken doctors" do, we found a larger roundworm and a heap of smaller ones in different specimens of faeces. Having had chickens with worms before- we quickly treated their water with Piperzine. Before she fell ill, their water was regularly treated with ACV as a prevention.

Not noticing any more worms in her poop, her symptoms continued. Still worrying, we got our mum to examine her vent area and found a coin sized clump of maggots; which in our few years of chicken handling- we had never seen before. Whilst mum treated her (using cotton-buds to remove all visible maggots and applying antiseptic cream and betadine to her sore and slightly scabbed, red bum) we did some typical exploring via this wonderful website and found it was a bad case of fly-strike. We cleared out the coop and changed over all hay and wood-chips to prevent any more infestations. We were unsure whether the maggots made their way inside of Audrey, but from her good results over the next few days; we suspected not. Her vent healed and cleared up and she was more hungry for her feed.

A few days on she was still lazing around- and sitting herself around random spots in the garden. When re-filling their feeders, she would come running over for food as if there was nothing wrong. She was happily drinking like normal (if not even excessive amounts of water) but her poop was either runny or smallish and green; which made us question whether she was still eating as much when we weren't around.

Over these recent three days (which have been quite hot, between 30-40 degrees Celsius) we've noticed Audrey's symptoms have been worsening slightly each day. Her crest has gone pale-r and flops over completely. Her appetite isn't the same and we are having to monitor everything she eats ensuring she is feeding. She still seems very interested in her favourites such as corn and tomatoes. We have also been treating her feet for scaly mites along with our other two adventurous hens, soaking their feet in a cup of oil and ACV to drown whatever mites are there.

She's been quite reluctant to walk much, but we don't think it's her feet that are bothering her. She occasionally stands still, tucking her head in and drops her tail while her friends scratch around. She is still very aware and will sprint away like normal when approached by something she is scared of; even sometimes losing her symptoms altogether for minutes or so.

Whatever she has isn't contagious- as she has been kept with Molly and Peggy who she rely's on for company and they seem totally normal.

Sorry for the extra long post, but please help us out as we love her very much and could not bare to lose any more chickens.
    [​IMG]x Molly
    [​IMG]x Peggy
    [​IMG]xxxxxx Audrey

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Audrey, welcome to BYC!

I do not know what might be wrong with her. Sounds like she has had a tough couple of weeks there. I sure hope someone here can help you as I would hate for you to lose any of your babies.

I hope you can find the cure. :)

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    On second thought, when birds have external parasites, many times they also have internal parasites too. You might start with worming her with some safeguard wormer. The paste you can get in the horse section. Give her a pea sized dollop on a piece of bread. If this doesn't cure her, she may have some bacterial infection to which you might use some antibacterial meds on her. Good luck with your baby.

4. ChookBook

Jan 14, 2014
    Chicken land.
    Thankyou for the lovely welcome! [​IMG]
    We were planning on a trip to the local farm suppliers later on, so we will put Safeguard on our list to get. :) Feeding it to her shouldn't be a problem, she absolutely loves bread.
    Also, incase she does have a bacterial infection; what meds should we put her on?
    Thanks again for your help !!! xx[​IMG]

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 I agree with above post.when they are badly infested with worms as she sounds to be the worms CAN actually kill a bird. What happens is the worms get all the birds nutrition.the bird then suffers. Sounds like she's had it rough. I would follow above posts advice then I might add some vitamins as well. I really hope this helps and wish you the best.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Not much medication in a pea sized amount [​IMG]... If using the horse paste, I would use it that same as the liquid and the amount of liquid I use is .5ml per 2.2 pounds, which is 50mg/kg, the amount my avian vet recommended.

FYI, 1ml of paste weighs one gram, so it has 100 mg fenbendazole in it. And yes, I did weigh it . [​IMG]

From left to right:
    Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
    Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
    Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  8. ChookBook

Jan 14, 2014
    Chicken land.
    Thanks everyone for your help! :D :D I'll post an update as soon as we get the stuff into her. [​IMG]
    How long would it take for the medications to take a noticeable effect?

Also, thanks for the welcome Casportpony! :) Everyone here is super sweet. x

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I had a peahen that I suspected had capillary worms, so I gave her a massive dose of Safeguard (100mg/kg) once, then four more days at 50mg/kg and she was better in three days. If you can, post a picture of her poop.

-Kathy

10. ChookBook

Jan 14, 2014
    Chicken land.
    Alrighties- [​IMG]

When we let the girls out this morning, she willingly walked out and had some brekky.
    After I checked out her vent to assure there were no more issues there, but I had noticed how much weight she's lost; and was able to clearly able to feel from her breast bone down- which is a bit of a worry. How will I help her put on that weight? She likes pasta but that's a real treat.

Also, during our trip to our farm supplier we were unable to find any Safeguard or Duramycin. I'm presuming it's not available in Australia. Instead today Mum was going to buy some Combantrin which is actually a child wormer but apparently works well on roundworms and capillary worms (any reviews?). As for the meds' in-case she has a bacterial infection, are there any known that are easy or common to get a hold of?
    Her crest is more red today but once again she is still loose on her feet; and it's hard to tell whether it's because she's weak/skinny or if it's got to do with her poor belly.

Thanks for all your help guys, ! :D xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by