Help diagnosing a sick spanish chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jkemker, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jkemker

jkemker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    Actually she's about a year old and we call her the spanish chick.

Hubby noticed a week ago she was wobbling and having trouble walking straight, but she got up on the bars to roost so we thought is was a one time thing. Then yesterday we let the flock free range and she just layed under the tree. Went in a night but very slowly. This morning she's not wanting to walk more than 4 feet, she's all puffed up (it's 50 degrees) and her comb, once bright red and fully erect, is now down and purpleish. Plus she let me pick her up -- first time ever. Help!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    When was the last time she laid an egg? Wormed? Check her for lice/mites.

3. jkemker

Mar 10, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. It's tough to tell when she laid last. All 19 girls live in the coop. How can I tell if she's egg bound and what do you do for that? I'll go out and check for mites. Thanks again! All help is appreciated. Don't want hubby to loose his spanish chick! =-)

4. jkemker

Mar 10, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    Thanks, Dawg..

She has mites. We bathed her this morning and dusted her, now cleaning the coop. Any thoughts on how to nurse her back to health. She's alert, but doesn't want to walk. [​IMG]

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Try giving her some soft scrambled egg with some polyvisol mixed in. She probably could also use an electrolyte solution in place of water for awhile.

6. jkemker

Mar 10, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    thanks so much. We just fed her water thru syringe and a scrambled egg plain. I'm going out now to get that stuff you mentioned. How many times a day should we give her water and food? She alert, just not wanting to move.

Thanks for all your help saving our Spanish girl.

7. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    I would try to feed her every couple of hours throughout the day. If she keeps taking the egg - you could start adding in a little of her layer feed softened up with a little water. Between feedings, you could leave some egg/ layer mix in a bowl for her to pick at should she feel like it. That way you will be able to tell when she's able to free-feed herself! Give her water/electrolytes when you feed her and give her a water supply for between times as well. Keep us posted!

8. jkemker

Mar 10, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    Will do.. Thank you so much!

9. jkemker

Mar 10, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    she was too far gone. We lost her. [​IMG] We'll know better next time....

10. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Awww... so sorry. Just a check - you said above that you duster HER and cleaned the coop. Did you dust your other chickens? They will surely have them too. You did your best, and yes - next time you'll see it sooner. It's all a learning curve. Hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by