Help diagnosing hen illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harvey'sHens, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Harvey'sHens

Harvey'sHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    Hi,

I'm puzzled with my pet hen and what is wrong with her. Hoping someone with more experience can help.

My 5 year old Dominique 3 days ago was behaving listlessly, tail at half mast, came out of coop last in the AM. It has been very cold here. Day before she seemed great happy active & looking for treats. I picked her up to check it out & she vomited clear liquid that smelled kind of bad. Then I noticed she had liquid diarrhea with thin greenish yellow solids. I gave her ACV in her water & put a few vitamin drops in her beak. She hasn't been laying since the fall. I pulled her inside the house to isolate her the first night as she didn't make it up to the roost on her own.

Next morning she wasn't interested in eating much drinking little. I thought possibly going into lay now that days are getting longer & got eggbound. I gave her a soak in Epsom salt. Still diarrhea, not many droppings, but could feel feed crumbles in her crop. Seemed kind of full crop for the AM but I did leave feed in her crate overnight.

I pulled her feed for 24 hrs to see if crop emptied, it did not and feels more liquid filled now. She is drinking. I had fed some whole grain bread crumbled as a treat a few days before she became ill- thought maybe that did it. So I tried a flush with molasses from Gail Damerows book.

It's been 3 days. She doesn't get worse & doesn't get better. She is sitting/ standing not active fluffed up. Tail at half mast, her vent is pulsing as if trying to move something along constantly, but she isn't really straining. Her comb etc is a nice red doesn't seem pale, she is alert. She will drink. I offered her yogurt & egg after her fast & flush but she wouldn't eat it, she did eat a few crumbles of layena.

Now, barely pooping, it's almost all liquid. When there are solids they are small thin & greenish. Her crop is large & liquidy. I felt inside her vent for an egg- I don't feel one, I did feel a hard fleshy round mass the size of the tip of my finger but a bit larger. The mass almost appeared loose inside her but was attached somewhere I think. It was visible briefly as her vent was pulsing-it is bright red with hard calcium white chalky bits in it & was a little bloody, but not bleeding. I have no idea if this is a tumor or what it could be. It appears something is blocking her from emptying her crop & maybe she is developing sour crop as a secondary thing to the real issue going on. What is the underlying problem. What could this mass be? Has anyone seen anything like this? She was laying well all summer until her molt this fall & hasn't started laying yet this year.

I am going to try worming her & as she had a few drops of blood in her stool I was thinking of trying treating her with corid, but it's barely any blood & I think the blood is coming from this mass. I also ordered her a vitamin, electrolyte, probiotic that is coming soon.

I have wazine & safeguard to worm her, what is the one she will probably tolerate best being ill? She hasn't been wormed recently.

I will take her to the vet if she goes down hill but as just the exam at the vet is $100- I'd like to try more supportive care first for a couple more days. Ok sorry for the rambling, thanks in advance for any help.

2. chickens123432

chickens123432 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    my chicken had something like this before. take her to the vet right away! i forget what it was called but it was pretty serious

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Safeguard would be the most effective of the two choices. It would also be gentlest of the two.

pm casportpony, she is great with this stuff!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row in case she has capillary worms. She does sound like she has sour crop from the bad odor of her crop contents. She also may have diarrhea from the same problem. A vet could flush out her crop with water, as well as treat her for either a fungal or bacterial infection (or both) of the crop. Probiotics are good. Use of ACV and vomiting are a little controversial, and most people have differing opinions on them. Fluconazole and Nystatin are two antifungal drugs that a vet can prescribe, and Fluconazole (Diflucan) is preferable. In Canada, it is available over the counter as Canesoral. I'm not experienced with sour crop, but other here such as Two Crows and Casportpony are, and you may PM either. Here are some links about crop problems:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=sour+crop

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. Harvey'sHens

Feb 23, 2011
    Thanks, I am doing the safeguard & electrolytes etc, now. She is still the same, she is drinking and will peck a little at food but not eat much. I'm hoping to see improvement after today with the worming. I will continue the 5 days for the wormer. Her crop is not emptying but she appears to be pooing more, though still liquid. I gave her another soak with Epsom & blow dried her. That she liked. But I thought I saw a red mite on her when bathing, but after very close inspection can't find any or any scabby or dirty areas of skin or feathers. I'm going to treat for the mites too just in case. Crossing fingers. If she's not looking improved tomorrow morning we're going to the vet.

6. Harvey'sHens

Feb 23, 2011
    Thanks again everyone. My hen passed away this morning. She turned out to be an internal layer & yesterday began showing clear symptoms of peritonitis. The antibiotics didn't save her unfortunately, but she did get to sit out in the sun with her friends one last time before she went. RIP. It's heartbreaking that so many hens suffer from this. I wish they would breed hens that wouldn't be prone to this.

7. chickens123432

chickens123432 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    oh my gosh. i am so sorry. my hen had it this fall and sadly didn't make it ither.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Crop symptoms can always accompany other illnesses, since it slows down digestion. Internal laying really is so common, and I suppose we see it so much more because we keep our hens for pets for many years. The best egg layer breeds are very prone to this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by