1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help diagnosing sick and dying chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunket77, Apr 4, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I bought 4 silver campine chicks from a show on Sat. they are from about one week to two weeks old. Today one of the smaller ones was laying on it's side so I picked it up and it kept gasping for air. I listened and couldn't hear a lung problem, it was just opening it's mouth with every breath. Within about 20 min. it died in my hands. Concerned I looked over the others and noticed the other younger one was kind of listless and now it is going from having spasms to peeping and acting normal almost like it is having seizures it's head folds back and it falls on it's side for a few minutes and then it gets back up and sits until it happens again. The poop looks normal, the crop is soft and full, no pasty butt and eating and drinking on occasion. I was concerned there was a problem with it reaching it's food. But I made sure it could get to it. I also had my nieces over yesterday, and they kept handling the chicks when no one was looking, I kept catching them in the act. Other than that I am unsure of what could be wrong. I am hoping and praying nothing contagious any ideas!? the other two are a bit larger and older but not much and they are acting fine.

2. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    after doing some research it seems like it might be crook neck or possibly mareks?? but I read that mareks affects chicks 6 mo or older is that true? tying to get all my facts strait. If the littlen one (who is now up and eating) makes it I will go get some vitamin E tomorrow, I think I read that would help. Any more suggestions please let me know, The strange thing is the first one dying, I also read crook neck can be caused by a head trama like being dropped I am hoping that is not what happened! If it was that it couldn't reach it's food and water would this be symptoms? Thanks for any help I can get!

3. SilkieMomma

SilkieMomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Sorry for your loss...[​IMG]

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Maybe an environmental issue (???). You are not using cedar bedding are you? Is there any kind of fumes that they may be exposed to? Maybe even something you are not aware of such as carbon monoxide? Is the brooder new or was it previously used for something else that could be affecting them? I am just trying to think outside of the standard answers you will likely get from others.

How old are your nieces? Could they have unintentionally done something like squeeze the chicks too hard or drop them? Could they have feed something to the chicks other than their starter feed?

[​IMG] Fingers crossed for your remaining chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by