Help Diagnosing: Yellow Puss filled blisters on legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aknewlin, Aug 26, 2013.

1. aknewlin

aknewlin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    I need help diagnosing my chicken, as well as advice on what to do.

She is a 21 week old pullet Easter Egger. She is eating, running, not limping, and acting very healthy. She is lowest on the pecking order of six pullets (same age), but I have never seen any attacking her or picking on her...just a quick chest bump occasionally. They all free range around the yard during the day and are locked in the coop nightly. They get chicken food (non medicated) in the coop, access to water, and plenty of scratch and what they can find in the yard to eat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two days ago she developed one fingernail sized yellow bump on her left leg on the inside ankle. I don't know if it's yellow because of her leg coloring (greenish/yellow), or if it's the bump. I kept neosporin on it, and the bump "deflated" after two days. It looked like it had a black spot in the middle now, but that could have been from the drainage.

Today I see that she has another small blister on the back of the same leg (scale sized), and the right leg now has two bumps (one small and one large, almost identical to the other leg), and the larger one is draining what looks to be puss. These are in the same area of the leg/ankle. She is still acting completely normal. I rubbed neosporin all over all the bumps I could see.

I do not think it is bumble foot because the bottoms of her feet are fine, and the bumps are on her actual legs and ankles, not feet. The bottoms of her feet, the webbing and toes are looking quite healthy. Bumble foot wouldn't spread like that, would it?

I looked at pictures of avian pox. Those posts mention that pox can appear on legs, but I can find no pictures anywhere on the internet of what avian pox would look like on chicken legs. The pox pictures I do find on the internet have black, scabby looking bumps, and some yellow pussy bumps, on the combs and wattles. My Easter Egger has no bumps (that I can find) on her face or comb.

We live in the woods in south central Indiana. There are bees, mosquitoes, horse flies, etc. All the other five pullets are healthy and I see no evidence of bumps or pox on any of the others.

I would love to hear advice on what this is and how to treat it. Thanks!

2. aknewlin

Mar 23, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is a bigger picture of the Easter Egger eating some meal worms, a little blurry because she won't hold still. You can see the start of a little blister on the top of her right foot that didn't show in the other pictures. It's hard to get a picture of her because she is very shy.

3. aknewlin

Mar 23, 2013
    The first spot is looking better already this afternoon and is healing. I'm still watching the other spots and watching the other pullets. I'm stumped. My local feed store had never seen it before.

Any ideas?

4. aknewlin

Mar 23, 2013
    Last night she got the start of a new "blister" near her elbow joint. Before bed, I smeared every thing that look like a blister with neosporin and sprayed her legs down with vet wound spray from the feed store.

This morning every spot is much improved and drying up. I'm going to continue with this treatment until it goes away (to keep infection away), and continue monitoring all the pullets.

She is still full of energy, eating well, running, and not limping. Weird!

5. DaniellePage

DaniellePage Out Of The Brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by