1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help diagnosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leslie0815, Jan 2, 2008.

1. leslie0815

leslie0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Today i left around 3 or so and my Brahma roo was running around fine, now I just got home and he was laying down leaning to the side. I checked him all over he has no injurys, poo fine. When I tried to stand him up his legs kind of go up and he looks like he was falling over backwards. I put him in a smaller pen by himself and gave him a vit B shot and some antibiotics. Dose anyone have a clue what it might be ?
    Thanks again ya'll

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I dont know....could he have gotten into any poisons? I hope he gets better!

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Maybe he got into bad food...
    How old is he?

4. leslie0815

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    He is about 8 months old or so. What should I do if he ate something bad. It is bdark here now and stores are closed. Thanks Spotted.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If he ate something bad/poison you need to flush him out immediately.

Mix 1 teaspoon of Espon Salt and 1 ounce of water. Mix well. Let set a couple minutes, it should go clear. Using a syringe withOUT the needle or an eye dropper, put 3-5 cc(depends on size) down his throat. Be sure you put it far enough in the back of his mouth to avoid his breath tube. Do it a little at a time till you have enough in him so you don't choke him.

The flush will give him the runs for a couple days.

Put vitamins and electrolytes in his water to get him going again. Make sure he is drinking and eating.

Matt

6. leslie0815

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    All the stores are closed and I don't have any epsom salts, do you think he will be ok till morning ???????
    He is my first born offspring.....I hate to loose him...

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's the information that I was looking for, Matt...
    My puter decided to crash while I was looking for it...
    This is a link about Mareks disease, but he seems to old for that...
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:sorry, didn't mean to intrude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by