Help --- did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemom9, May 14, 2008.

1. chickiemom9

chickiemom9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have been using a regular white light bulb on my chicks that are now 4 weeks old and in the coop for the last 3 weeks. Well they have been partying all night and not wanting to go to bed and stay there so I decided to try a red light bulb tonight. I checked in on them and only 3 of the 10 are on the roosting poles and the rest are on the floor in the shavings away from the roosting poles. I went in once and tried to put them up on the roosts but they acted scared silly and were jumping all over. Do you think I made a mistake and should I go and change it back to a white light? Will they just get used to it in a couple days and I should leave it alone? Last night they all slept on the roosts really well --- when they slept and I checked on them at my bedtime. I don't want to break the routine and scare them and I am afraid they will pile on each other and smother one or two of them. Do you think I made a mistake or will they be okay? [​IMG]

2. chickiemom9

chickiemom9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I forgot to say that the red light bulb is the same wattage as the white so the heat from it should be the same as the white one was. It just makes it alot darker with a pretty red glow now.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Does it matter if they sleep at night? Mine are up all night on and off, they sleep when they are tired.

4. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    I agree, mine are up on and off all night, the ones that sleep the most at night are my older ones without any light at night. My babies though just like kids, up and down with all sorts of excuses.
    I think they will get used to the light, but I am not sure it will make them go to bed at any specific time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by