HELP did power outage kill my eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hoopy blues, Feb 17, 2015.

1. hoopy blues

hoopy blues Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    I have 18 eggs in my incubator last night Mother Nature sent a ice storm .We lost power for 3 hours.I covered it up with towles to try to keep as much heat in as i could.The eggs have been set for 7 days the temp.droped to 75 deg.When power came back on it took about 30 min. to heat it back to right tem.Does any one think it will hurt my eggs

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I think your eggs should be fine. Them cooling is far better than them getting too hot and cooking. Think about from natures point of view mother hen gets off the nest everyday to eat drink and poop she doesn't have an incubator to keep them warm while she pops off for snack.
    My incubator has a cooling option on it where the heating element is turned for a set period everyday to mimic what mother hen does.
    Although the incubator temp dropped it would have taken longer for the eggs to cool as they hold some heat themselves within the egg. I would leave them a couple of days then candle to check they are ok. Good luck try not to worry :hugs

3. hoopy blues

Dec 13, 2013
    Thank you i felt that way too but it sure realy good to hear someone other than me say it.I will candle them in a few days.thanks for you time

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    So early you'll be fine. I lost power at day 18 last year with about thirty eggs and it killed all but two chicks who hatched on day 25 after the power came back on on day 22.

6. hoopy blues

Dec 13, 2013
    thanks to all how replied it is helpful to see other peoples thoughts an some who have had the same luck.i am going to let them run there time and see what happens.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They should be fine. I lost power 3 times during my first hatch. I think one outage was around 6 hours. The 5 who went into lock down hatched.

8. hoopy blues

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks so much.The most upsetting thing was the eggs are my pure english imported orpingtons and i only have 2 pairs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by