Help - distressed chicken

kat32

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Hi

I am hoping some more experienced chicken owners might be able to shead some light on my Chickens bizarre behaviour.

My 2 1/2yr old Cochin stated behaving strangely 3 days ago. Very loud squawking (we can hear when inside with double glazing) and then running and hiding cowering in the bushes. She is not heading for the nest box. Initially we though she had been spooked by something perhaps a cat (normally there is no issue with the neighbourhood cats). It is a very loud squawks and my second thoughts were that she was in pain. It almost like a spam of pain or the sort of behaviour you would expect if something had stung her. She slightly looked like she might be straining so after a bit of googling I thought she might be egg bound. I used warm towels on her abdomen and gave it a massage. I later tried the finger inserted up her vent - went in at least 2" and no egg found. She is not eating her normal food but will tucking to some sweet corn and meal worms if offered. She has been pooing - quiet small but then she is not eating much. As she had passed stools I thought I would see how she was over night before resorting to the vet.

Following day simillar behaviour but squawks were not quite so loud. I took her to the vet. She confirmed she was not egg bound. She also listened to her heart and lungs - all fine. There is no discharge from anywhere. She has lost weight but this is not unusual for her she has been broody recently and then moulting so the weight lost does not surprise me. There is no sign of any parasites. She seems bright and alert. In the absence of any finding and because I was worried she might be in pain the vet gave her a painkilling injection.

After the vet she did seem a bit better. Quieter but still going off with some loud squawks. Also very strange behaviour as she kept trying to come in the house through the patio doors. She has never come in before, never been encouraged or even tried to enter before - we actively discourage it. She kept pushing up against the glass and pecking at it.

This morning she did a normal poo has had a few meal worms. She has squawked a bit and has now been hiding in the hedge for the last 40 mins with out moving.

I am beginning to wonder if it is more a behavioural issue that a pain issue - I hope so. She is quiet a hormonal chicken ie she goes broody a lot. She is in the middle of her moult so perhaps that is making her uncomfortable.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very grateful as I hate seeing her distress and I am not sure what to do next.

Thank you in advance

Could a hawk or wild animal have startled her? After my chickens see a cat they are weary of the area and make lowed squauking at the spot like you said your hen is doing. If not that is she being bullied?

I don't really have any suggestions at the moment
sad.png

@hensrule has some good suggestions, but a video of these actions would be interesting to see.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am begining to wonder if she has been scared. We don't get hawk but maybe a cat when for her, however I am suprised her friend is not upset as well. Things are definatly improving since it started 5 days ago. I have just gone out to her this moring and she seams ok. She was still squarking a bit yesterday and spend a lot of time hiding in bushes however she did have a very quick dust bath and a brief sun bathe. She is not being bullied. I only have the two and they get on fine. I would just be a bit happier if she was eating propperly but she seams to have lost her appetitie. I would have thought with the moult she would be really hungry. She is always a bit fussy with food and her weight does go up and down. I even took her to the vet about 6 months ago as she was just dropping weight. Then she put it all back on a gain. I just think she is a funny chicken.

Thanks again
Katherine

Just a follow up for anyone who might be interested in the outcome

Her behaviour settled down over about 5 days. She did seam to go more off her food which was giving me cause for concern but then on the sixth day she was back to normal as if nothing had happened. All very strange.

Back
Top Bottom