Help!!! do B.C.Marans

Blueroo63

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
N.Texas
my Black copper maran is acting like she wants to set her eggs,they're eggs can anyone tell me do they make good momma's I 've always incubated them but one of my girls really acting like she wants to keep them for herself ,should I let her try or maby give her some mutt babies to set

so my question is are they good momma's thanks

mine was, she was about seven months old when she decided to set. I stuffed every egg i could fit under her. I think she ended up with twenty, and maybe fifteen of them hatched.

Edit to add: not only that, but it was a split hatch. She sat about thirty five days and even then I had to toss her off the nest and block her from it to get her to break broodiness. Careful what you wish for. If yours lays nice dark eggs, just break her of brooding by putting her in a wire cage and let something else hatch the eggs. I guesstimate that I lost a total of two months egg production by letting her brood... just saying... think it over and do the math before you use your star egg layer for a incubator.

tipsysclutch.jpg

Last edited:
this is very good to know she comes up and watches me like why are you taking my eggs so I decided to try and let her but hate the idea of lossing black copper eggs if she not gonna stay with them thanks

this is very good to know she comes up and watches me like why are you taking my eggs so I decided to try and let her but hate the idea of lossing black copper eggs if she not gonna stay with them thanks

Back
Top Bottom