Help do I have CornishX chickens?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PinkHairGirl, Oct 22, 2011.

1. PinkHairGirl

PinkHairGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    South Africa
    We got some chicks at a church fete that were supposed to be laying chicks but sounds like they might be meat chicken. Can you help me?
    They are about 8 weeks old
    If they are do I need to restrict their food? There is no way we can eat them.
    I don't want them to suffer later if they get too heavy. We do free range them twice a day and provide food in their coop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Those birds have awfully big feet and red combs to be hens...especially at 8 weeks...My girls are WAY older, and their combs are still pale. I do not know much about meat birds though.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I'm thinking at 8 weeks with combs that big and red that those are boys. [​IMG] Don't know the breed though...and I could be wrong about them, but those combs are looking awfully rooish.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like you have 2 pullets and a cockral in the 1st pic....they might be duel purpose chickens (both laying and meat)

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I posted in your other thread, I think all three are roosters at 8 weeks, and not Cornish X - too small. Maybe white rocks.

6. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I could be wrong, but they look too healthy to be cornishx... cornishx always look kinda sickly to me even with their size cause the feathers are usually kinda junky looking and they are usually really dirty and laying down in the pictures I've seen

could be white rocks, in which case I'd get rid of one of the roosters once they get older and you can tell which one you like better and I'd get a few more hens for whichever fellow you keep otherwise your one pullet will get more attention than she wants

7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    White Rock roosters.

8. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    I don't know what they are, but they're not Cornish X. I have 4 week old Cornish X and mine are bigger than that. Freakish.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    The good news is: they're not CX. The bad news is: they're male.

10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    yep, I agree. White rock roos. They'll make good fried chicken in another month. List them on craigslist if you don't want to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by